Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mid-Summer Recap

Ben - Has moved out. And I didn't even have to ask him to go. The Army did. They also gave him a sweet bachelor pad (and sometimes a roommate!) in the city. We are about to start our 5th month of his relocation. He spends on average 24 hours a week at home, 80 hours a week in a hospital and the rest in his sweet (read: not great) apartment. Sometimes he gets to stay in luxury hotels elsewhere in the U.S.; Chicago, as documented by my accompaniment on the trip and most recently Rochester, Minn at a little place called the Mayo Clinic where he practiced sewing on vasculature 1/8 of a millimeter thick (Ben made me show him with my fingers how big an inch, then centimeter, then millimeter was, etc. until I was duly impressed). A big thank you to all of those Minnesotan mice for your service.

Professionally, I could not be prouder of him. Every day he becomes and better and better doctor and every day he already starts off as a pretty good one.


Me - I got to keep the house. And all of the maintenance that goes with it. I can almost always be found in the yard, wearing a sweatshirt and boots, wishing I was wearing cutoffs and flip flops.

Avery & Miles - Took a few tennis lessons but otherwise are enjoying everything an unstructured summer should be - except for heat, which we will try very hard to be grateful for.

Cruz - Does whatever everyone else does and generally destroys most things in his path. If it's edible, it's a goner.

2 comments:

JMK said...

So, you're a single mom. That's not easy! Is Ben in residency still or fellowship? Returning home soon? I think I would maybe trade this heat for the boots and sweatshirt right about now. I swear it was not this hot when we were at TU.

Sarah said...

I really, truly hope the summer has been better this year than last year. We miss you guys!