Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Tulip Fest

April is tulip month in the Northwest. And you could drive up to Skagit Valley, or you could save yourself a trip and come to our house.


I came home from the hospital to my tulips being in bloom. In the fall I planted 100 'Apricot Impression' tulips on the side of the house and 100+ more other varietals elsewhere in the yard. What I like about bulbs is that they pop up and bloom quickly and then die back right into the ground and you never know they were there.


Somehow about 25 double blooming whites and one lone yellow were in the bag of single color tulips from Costco, which made me a little upset because I was going for uniformity, but at least they have a slightly different bloom time and the doubles are fragrant. In Costco's defence their tulips are the tallest I have ever seen - and not just in my yard (here's where I would link to a certain friends blog if they had updated it in the last year...okay it's the McArthurs - and their tulips were as tall as Miles (which is not necessarily tall for a three year old but is very tall for a tulip)

We did actually make the trip to the official WA tulip festival because my mom was here and signed up for the 5 mile tulip run. She won the following flowers.
Which came from the following fields.

Which didn't impress me as much as I had hoped. We didn't even stop and get out of the car to look. Mostly because the police were taking the opportunity to pad their city's budget by ticketing everyone who had pulled over on the shoulder to get out and take a peek. You had to find a paid parking lot and then walk a bit to get to see them proper like. I am glad I didn't pester Ben to to take me to see the tulips. He would not have appreciated this trip (or the traffic) with his scant free time (instead he took Miles to Cabelas kids fishing day where he tried to have fun helping Miles catch a fish out of a swimming pool). It is kind of cool and I have seen some beautiful pictures of these fields in bloom (70% of the nations tulip supply comes from here) but I could just have well have looked at pictures online. Or stayed at home and looked at my own flowers.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Remind me--next year you and I need to go to this together. We'll have to work out a way to have an 8 passenger car, or just squeeze the three oldest into my bucket seats.

They ARE gorgeous, and definitely worth the trip. You have to go to where you can get out and walk through the fields, and yes, you have to pay for those, but it's worth it.

Besides, this ice cream place (Snow Goose Produce) was closed when we went, and I doubt I can talk Gavin into going with me again. Then again, maybe when Gavin and Ben see these pics, they'll decide it's worth it afterall.

http://jami-waitesworld.blogspot.com/2010/04/tulip-time.html

jen said...

those are gorgeous...hard work always pays off. what perfect timing too!