Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

"the Boys"

I am a mother of boys. Plural. This seems weird to me because I started off my career as, and identified myself as the mother of a girl. Even with one of each I still considered myself more the mother of a girl than of my boy. So what does this paradigm shift have to do with anything? Nothing really, I just thought it was weird when I said "the boys" - referring to Cruz and Miles - outloud for the first time. And then I instantly repeated the fact that we have boy"s".

Nothing's changed, everything's changed and I am just going to have to ponder this for a bit.

5 comments:

amy Woolace said...

While pondering.... Have yourself a Happy Birthday!
Love you Mama!

Berd said...

Very interesting. My boy is my oldest and I have 2 (soon to be 3) girls following. I was very surprised when the doc told us this last one was a girl because I always saw myself as the mother of a boy and kept wondering why this mother of a boy kept having all these girls. Shouldn't I be having more boys?, I thought. This finally answers why all these daughters were stumping me. So thank you. (And by the way, it still feels strange for me to refer to my daughters as "the girls", plural.)

bethy said...

I still think it's odd to say that I have kids. We just call them the girls. I guess I'll have to start calling them kids if we ever have a boy thrown into the mix. At this point I'm a bit scared to have a boy. Not because their personality/behavior would be so different but because my girls are BIG time girlie girls. It's all about the princesses, glitter, and bows. A boy wouldn't stand a chance. But we would still gladly take one. ;-)

Tami said...

I still feel like I'm the mother of a boy more than a mother of girls. Maybe we should trade?

Suzanne said...

Love how you put this. It's taken me a year to get used to the fact that I am not a mother of girls but a couple girls and mostly boys. And I couldn't tell you exactly why until I read this post.