Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ballet Class

The only way you are going to get this girl to wear tights (or pull her hair back) is to enroll her in a ballet class where it is mandatory. Both kids did gymnastics last session and it was fun but until you're six here it's little more than obstacle courses and donkey kicks so I'm hoping for a little more out of the ballet. And because I am taking gymnastics and can only make so many trips to the gym per week as well as my no-classes-for-the kids-that-I-have-to-participate-in policy* Miles is going to have to wait a few more months before he can get in on the action.

Avery insisted that she get white ballet slippers (what, she didn't want to wear my vintage duct taped pink pair?). And after searching around we found them online from Target. They arrived just in time. (oh looks like the poor girl is going to be pigeon toed just like her mother. It's okay Abes it makes you run faster - at least that's what I've heard)

First class was great. It started off formally at the barre and if I do say so myself she does an excellent ronde de jambe. When they started doing floor work in pairs she darted up to another girl who had the same hot pink leotard that she did and held her hand. Instant BFF's - punctuated by Jack Johnson singing "I can tell that we are gonna be friends" at that very moment. Cute.



*Actually my policy is that I refuse to pay money to do a mommy and me class- his gymnastics was more of an open gym mom follow you around thing and it was free so it was okay, unexciting after 10 minutes but okay. Swimming lessons for him would be free too but I'm not getting in the water twice a week to have him blow bubbles. We can do that on our own time.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

In general, I tend to agree with you on the Mommy and Me classes, but I did do the swim class with J and will do it with L next month too. Why? Because it made me do it. Otherwise, I would say I was going to take them on a consistent basis, but I never would. This keeps me accountable since they have my money.

sara said...

i did a swimming mommy and me class once, and i will never again get in a swimsuit everyday for two weeks straight. oh the razor burn!
kate is starting dance on wed. this girl in our stake wants to do it for free! so i was all over that.

TOVAR said...

I wish we could find a good ballet class. Mia has asked to be in everything from Cheer leading to gymnastics, to dance. We'll see.