Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

There are two classes of travel -- first class and with children
- Robert Benchley
Yesterday, with my newly minted four-year old (and my mamas boy) in tow we escaped the lonliness of an absent (or sleeping) father and headed "home". I revised my packing strategy three times and finally (correctly) decided that it was useless to pack anything in the carry-on that might entertain me on the flight, such as the usual books, magazines, laptop, journal and used every inch of diaper bag space for snacks snacks and more snacks, diapers and wipes...and a few more snacks. I packed each of us a bag, half-full, except for Miles' which had a months worth of diapers, and which I expected to be half-full upon return. I have been informed that there are indeed washing machines in California and came to grips with the fact that it isn't the end of the world to be seen in the same outfit twice during a three-week stay. After all, I am the least fashionable sister anyway and should therefore know my place.
From check-in to boarding it took the entire hour forty-five I had allotted. Two agriculture checks, security (which A. is a complete pro at - shoes off, backpack in a bin and boarding pass in hand before I even had to say anything) and a bathroom stop later we were at our gate, which was boarding. Did I mention the 3/4 mile walk to get to gate 33, the very farthest gate in the terminal (was that what the shuttle was for?)? I'm sure the trek was good for our pre-flight circulation and for tiring out little legs. It's fine because I like to board last anyhow, as long as seats are pre-assigned that is. And last we were.
And now a plug for Hawaiian Airlines. I love to fly Hawaiian if at all possible. Avery was happy to be flying on the plane with the Hawaiian girl pictured on the tail and I was happy because, it was non-stop, the flight-attendants are consistently nice and they still feed you. Not to mention it was the cheapest flight available and best-fit my scheduling restrictions - which is - nap time or red-eye. This was supposed to be a nap-time flight. Not that my children have ever taken a 5-hour nap, but one can certainly hope.
The good news is that the back of the plane, where I always try to sit, so as to bother the least amount of people, was nearly completely empty. Not only did we get the three center seats to ourselves (M. still qualifies for lap-child status) there was no one behind us or to either side and one person in front of us. We settled in nicely, Miles securely strapped into his car seat and Avery getting "comfty" with pillows and blankets and me, doling out snacks from the center seat. It took longer than hoped for either child to fall asleep but with my reading material relegated to the checked luggage it didn't matter much and I was still able to eventually enjoy the current issue of the inflight 'zine*. The first two hours weren't all that pleasant actually but I did get excited when I smelled dinner being warmed (doesn't that sound delicious?). I should have known what was going to happen next, because it always happens. "Oh I'm sorry we're out of pasta, but here's a cold turkey sandwich", is what I get for being nice and sitting way in the back. It'll also happen on the return flight I'm sure. I'm not sure why they don't make more hot meals. The hot warmed meals come with a salad, roll and dessert of some sort. How is that equivilant to two slices of deli meat and one half piece of cheese on a croissant? Oh, I guess I forgot that it comes with a couple condiment packages and a bag of Lays. I ate it begrudgingly. And then I ate most of Avery's as well.
Both kids were asleep for the presentation of "Nanny Diaries" so it should have been enjoyable. Loved the book. Disliked the movie because it had the potential to be excellent but wasn't, although it's probable that I was still bitter over the meal I hadn't been served. What really got me through the flight was thinking about what awaits me on the other side... bean and cheese burritos, taquitos w/ guacamole, produce that hasn't been on a ship for two-months before it gets to market, and I really needn't say it ... In-N-Out. Is it possible to get a bad meal in California?
Well, now for the good news for those of you who have made it to this point. Not only do I promise not to recount every detail of our return trip, there is no slideshow to accompany this post. Lucky you.
* I recommend the article Sanctuary in the current issue of Hana Hou.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your blogging with all the adventures with the kids. Have fun at "home".

TOVAR said...

Thanks for that. I always wonder what all the other passengers and airport folks think while they watch a mother with two kids make it calmly through the various security loops while they ponder why they were gripping about the long lines. It gives me hope for our trip to tx. Me and three kids. Think that will go well?

Erick & Norma said...

welcome back to so cal, have fun while you're here!

April said...

Lynn, you are a brave soul. I love the look people give when you board the plane...the "oh great, this is going to be just perfect" look...much to their surprise, kids are generally good little people. I'm glad to hear you got there safely and hope you have fun in CA.

Terese said...

Have a fun trip. Ohh so true about California food! I try to make some of their yummy stuff at home, but the grocery stores and my (lack of)cooking ability pale in comparison.

Tami said...

In heaven, I will NEVER have to fly with kids. Just got back from Texas with only one kid(thankfully not all three). I was thinking Audrey would be good and sleep the whole time, which she usually does. But no, she was the annoying baby that cried the last half hour on both flights. I realized that my ambitious idea of flying back to MD with all three kids by myself wasn't too wise. Luckily I talked my mom into going out with me.

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

Well we're just glad you make it!! and I think you are very fashionable:) I'll have Leah's basket ready for her on Sunday- see you then!