Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

First time for everything.

Tis the season to try new things. January has proven to be a month of firsts, even for this seasoned almost 30-year old (that looks way worse written than I thought). Call it a mid-life crisis or just being in the right place at the right time but I have had not one, but two life changing events this very week alone.

First experience of note - eyebrow threading. No needles involved, only a spool of white thread and a pair of very skilled hands. We were out celebrating Sara's bday (I won't say which number but she's older than me) and somehow between dinner and walking back to the car we ended up in a "threading" salon thanks to Chelsey I think. Next thing we know we are giggling like schoolgirls and gathering around while each of us takes a turn supine in the chair.

I'm not one to mess with my eyebrows, much less allow another to do so; only once before have I been coerced/embarrassed into getting them shaped. (at the nail salon. when you walk in and they greet you with "eyebrow wax?" even if you just came in for a pedicure, of course you say "uh, yes" and find the nearest mirror to confirm your fears of why they asked). But everyone was doing it, it was only $11, the technicians looked like they were from the right region of the world to perform the service, I probably needed it and I never balk at the chance to experience a little pain (see favorite quote in right column), especially for a good cause.

I wish I could explain more about the process, but even after watching a few times, I have no earthly idea what exactly is going on. It was quick and I felt little hairs all over my face while she was doing her voodoo (enough that I thought someone would definitely be coming by to sweep up after I departed) but the result was incredible and just painful enough to be fun!
Experience grade A+

The second thing is something I've always wanted to try but haven't had the chance and that is to take a hip-hop class. Luckily I was visiting my sister on the right day and she goes to the right gym. Now mind you I don't have special "hip-hop" shoes like she does but I looked gansta enough for the class (you can take the girl out of Banning but you can't take the Banning out of the girl), thanks to a ubiquitous Not Guilty t-shirt and some borrowed Nike windpants from Britt's boyfriend. I know that I sang high praises for the Bikram yoga (haha) but THIS was my favorite workout ever. I almost considered moving to Manhattan Beach just so I can go to his class weekly (think the Army will ever have a base there?). He, is DHQ, whose claim to fame is choreographing for Bobby Brown. His music was great and he made complicated dance moves less frustrating than a beginning step aerobics class. It was a great workout for body, soul and mind (who needs Sodoku, when you can stimulate your brain putting together dance moves like Janet?). I was sad when it ended.
Experience grade A+ +

4 comments:

TOVAR said...

I totally had a Spanish teacher at BYU who would get "spun" all over her body because she thought it was unsightly to have hair on your arms and well some other spots. As for the class, I totally appreciate that. I was in love with the latin dance one. How couldn't you love a class that was fun and efficient?

Unknown said...

When we lived in Utah I always went to the hip hop classes. They are so fun and you get such a good workout, the music gets you so pumped up!

jen said...

Sweet! Sounds like fun! So you were in MB huh? That's were I grew up. Nice huh. My grandparents still live there, 3 blocks from the ocean. I love it there, but I don't love the stuck up snobs.

April said...

I think I can say with some certainty that there is no planned DOD post/fort/base in MB, however, I think if you took your thoughts to the congressional affairs office on BRAC, you could perhaps persuade them, who doesn't need Eyebrow Voodoo and a Hip Hop class? We'd then have the world's foremost expeditionary force and lovingly, "America's best dance crew"!!!!!!! Missing you Lynn. What's happening for chocolate week?