Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

What happens in Hawaii...

is also happening in Texas. I just got an email from my dear friend, and former Maryland neighbor, Teresa. She has a ward chili/cornbread cook-off and needed a recipe for cornbread that I have that could ensure her a win, if the judges like their cornbread on the sweet side (I do). What is funny is that probably at about the same time she was sending her email, I was in the grocery store trying to figure out what side-dish I could bring to our ward's chili cook off when it hit me...Charlotte's (pre-nutritionist) cornbread.

So since it's just a matter of cutting and pasting I thought I would share it in case anyone else is having a fall festival chili-cook off or if you just want a cake-like slice of cornbread heaven.

Charlotte's Cornbread Recipe

Makes 9x 13 pan
(I like to do mine in a cast-iron skillet)

1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
4 eggs
2 c. yellow cornmeal
1 3/4 c. cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Coast pan with spray or butter and sprinkle with sugar. In large bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in buttermilk then eggs. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Add all at once w/ sour cream to batter and mix until just blended. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
-
Substitution Note: If you don't have buttermilk on hand you can always add a tsp. of vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for 5 minutes and it mimics buttermilk. If you don't have cake flour you can use all-purpose less one tablespoon per cup called for. I've tried to make a baking powder substitution-concoction before and it is tricky it involves baking soda and an acid, ideally cream of tarter, but really, if you have cream of tarter on hand you probably have baking powder.

4 comments:

Terese said...

I'll have to try this one. I love recipes. So cool you hear from Teresa. I keep thinking about how I want her to email me a video of her workout routine. I miss it dearly!

sara said...

what happens in hawaii, happens in texas, happens in california. we too are having a chili and cornbread trunk or treating party tonight. i never ate chili, until we started eating it at your house when you lived at the moyles. now i love it. thanks to you.

kelly said...

obviously the church big wigs all got together and said everyone needed to have a chili cook off. we're having one tonight... trunk or treating, chili, corn bread and cobbler. yum!

Brittany said...

For sure this is a church wide thing because in AZ we also had a Chili and cornbread trunk or treat. I guess this is just the right time of year!!