Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Big Love

I must say that I am fascinated by polygamy. Much as I am by the prison system, North Korea and the Amish, meaning, I don't want to actively participate in the lifestyle (although I could use an extra set capable hands now and then) but I will watch any show about it, no matter who is exploring the issue - Anderson Cooper, the WE channel, Dr. Phil's son or most recently Oprah and Lisa Ling (I think she is just the best journalist). I'm currently not so much interested in the child-bride, FLDS type of polygamy (although I did almost had Kit pull-over so I get a closer look at the town of Colorado City, AZ and it's ultra-modestly attired inhabitants and their extra-dark tinted car windows, when we were driving home from Lake Powell) as much as I am the modern, Big Love-esqe plural marriage (but not legally married), living in 30,000 sq. ft. homes with your 22 children and 5 flat screen TV's polygamy that has been featured in Newsweek as well as on Oprah this week. During which I spent the whole episode thinking to myself, please clarify that they are not Mormon, please don't just say FLDS because it could be misheard and please iterate that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints banned the practice in 1890, and maybe even mention that experts think there is a growing number of evangelical Christian and Muslim polygamists that may even exceed the number that describe themselves as Mormon. But they didn't. While watching I was thinking that the "sister-wives" they had on were pretty stylin ladies and that perhaps the competition of being one of many wives keeps you well-groomed, in shape and kinder to your spouse. One woman made a good point about how in Utah it is illegal to have more than one legally declared spouse but that there is no punishment for having a mistress or fathering children with multiple women, as long as you don't commit to them. But that was the extent of the good points. Oprah said that maybe they were just more highly evolved spiritual beings for being able to live this way because she just didn't get it. I am intrigued but neither do I.




.

2 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

It's interesting that I read your blog right after having a discussion about this Oprah episode in the lunch room with some co-workers and we were commenting on the same thing -- it's not just a "Mormon" thing and practicing polygamists are not really LDS. Have you seen the special on KCET? It was a 3 part series called "The Mormons" and they talk about the origins of polygamy and how it was banned by the church in later years. I think it had more of a non-biased view. If you have a chance to check it out, let me know what you think. I'm also intrigued by the subject.
Here's the link to the website http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/

nathan said...

I'm all for it. Especially if most of the spouses work. I think we could definitely use another husband or wife.

I always watch Big Love.