Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Time to myself

Although I don't like the idea of Ben missing birthdays and holidays for the rest of his working life, I do actually enjoy the occasional night to myself.* No need to cook, and therefore no mess in the kitchen to clean up. And no need to scramble around to erase all evidence of the destructive fun we had that day. Generally, I feel compelled to straighten, vacuum and shine before the good doctor comes home, not because he expects or demands it but because I feel that I at least owe him that for letting me get 4-5 more hours of sleep per night than he gets. Plus, I like a clean home, complete with telltale lines on the carpet that say, I won't tell that there were Cheerios here if you don't. So these lonely nights become a much needed night of rest, for both me and the Dyson**. I'm not exactly sure why, but I feel like I must always be moving and doing when Ben's home. I know most women feel the same way. We don't veg out like guys anyway for the most part, but we work hard all day too, so I'm not sure why I can't just plop on the couch and recuperate without feeling a teensy bit guilty and wanting to prove just how busy I am every single second.

So with the night all to ourselves, we built a fort/bed, watched a Pixar classic and had popcorn for dinner. I didn't multi-task once. And when the kids went to bed I picked up a fashion magazine, that will do me no good whatsoever, if only to give me a momentary lift from the bouquet of Euphoria, Chance and something by Michael Kors scattered among the pages. I still can't resist the urge to do more than one thing at a time so I turn on the TV to catch up with my favorite billionaire and tend to the blog. New videos uploading at this very moment.


*Our neighborhood has an active neighborhood watch program so I feel safe, plus, what are the chances of being broken into while we're home a second time (probably just as good as having it happen once - but now i'm prepared)?

**Comes with the rental of the house. I have a Hoover that I LOVE, b/c it has a green light=clean/red light=dirty function, but the Dyson is an awesome machine that also provides visual cleaning confirmation with it's clear canister. Plus it uses no bags and it "never loses suction".

2 comments:

sara said...

i'm in serious, way beyond serious, need of time to myself. i'm scheduled for november 5th. i hope i can make it until then.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem doing nothing when my husband's home. In fact, that's when I do the least. I always try to have the house clean and dinner on the stove by the time he gets home, so I can just relax and hope that he'll take over. I accomplish this by running through the house cleaning when I get the phone call that he's left work (which is atleast 45 minutes away).