Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Darn it!

I had an idea that I thought for sure was going to make me millions! That idea was to have a site that will turn people blogs into books, like iBook or MyPublisher does with online photo galleries. A way to preserve our musings for posterity. So Sara was going to do the design (I just hadn't told her yet) and the rest of the work would have been farmed out to China (I made sure to keep connections there for situations just like this) leaving me as CEO but someone has beat me to the punch. And turns out there are actually multiple sites out there that do it. I guess I should have Googled the concept before I started calculating my profit. So if you want to turn your blog into a book you can go to:
Shared Book
BookSmart
BlogBinders
LJBook
Your Blog to Book
and my favorite (since I don't have my own) - Blurb

So this leads me to my next poll question...Is there always room at the top or Is there always someone out there better than you so why try?

Discuss. (or just vote)

7 comments:

alise said...

My step-mom has drilled into me that both are true. There will always be someone more beautiful, more talented, smarter, richer, better educated, etc (for whatever those are worth). and, of course, the list also goes the other way too. But, there is always room for a different perspective and a different way of doing things. So although there may be several products, companies, ideas etc. each will have its own spin (hence, so many different blog book companies out there--all slightly different). We all have something we are really really good at, we just have to discover it and find those who can appreciate it. Then, in theory, the money follows.

sara said...

i like that alise. are you going to make a book? it looks really cool. i still think you should write a book lynn get busy. i am always coming up with money making schemes, but i haven't made any money yet.

Terese said...

Somebody just told me about blurb and it was love at first sight! You are sooo clever, Lynn, I'm sure your perspective on things is going to beat out a lot of folks. I agree with your other comments. I do think about that a lot though, sometimes life just seems like such a rat race!
P.S. Love the sink stoppers and Miles, too darn cute.

kelly said...

money making schemes are my favorite thing to dream up. jeff tells me i should have a blog devoted to all my ideas. it's hard though, because sometimes it feels like all the good ideas are taken. but i think alise got it right... there is always room for a fresh perspective.

Lynn said...

there's always the other people...and the fact that I don't really want to work...

Erick & Norma said...

I love this! I never knew there was anything like this! I know...it totally sucks when someone else already came up with something you thought was original. It happens to the best of us. Don't let that discourage you though, like your friend said everybody has their own spin on the same product. Your idea might outshine whatever is out there now, you never know unless you give it a shot.

Tarah said...

There wouldn't be as many better, brighter, more motivated people with legitimate, viable business ventures to sell out there if I wasn't such a procastinator. (And if I wasn't so modest either). I have a "convenience" idea, although I doubt that it would make any money... My ideas always end up costing more than they generate. So maybe you don't want to know my idea. But if you do, let me know! (Just my shameless way of getting you to write to me because I have too much time on my hands since I am still technically on maternity leave).