Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

July Recap

*WARNING* This post is extremely long.

Summer has ended here. School is back in session. I guess when summer is "endless" then you can go back to school on July 31 without much complaint. They get out of school at the end of May so it's not too long of a break. I heard that they get some other days off throughout the year to make up for it...no snow days, but that's just a wild guess. Maybe you get out of school when the waves are going off somewhere on the island. It's weird that school is back in though because nothing else changed, the pools remain open, the Fall back-to-school sales are just new shipments of summer clothes and shave ice is still a hot seller. I guess all it means is that there is more room at the beach for me between 8 and 3.



So here is a person by person, topic by topic recap of the mundane for July -


BEN - We don't see much of him but he works here, and says the view from inside is incredible. He finished a month of General Surgery and has started a month of ENT which means he gets home a few hours earlier but I think he also goes in earlier as well. I don't even hear his alarm go off so I can't be sure, but I know it's still dark.





AVERY - Wore the same two outfits for all of July. But I'm not complaining because A. At least she is wearing clothes B. She gets herself dressed and C. It lessens my deluge of laundry. She has also been staying dry at night now that her parents have figured out that it helps to make her use the potty before she goes to bed. Duh.

We have an appt. with the audiologist (Christy do you know any good ones? :)) after someone at the commissary commented (in a nice way) that she sounding like a little Marine. I think she was referring to the drill instructors. In addition to her high volume level, she says "huh? an awful lot so we're gonna get it checked out. Hopefully it's just wax.


MILES- Still small but trucking right along the bottom curve of the growth chart. Makes his dad proud by saying dad, dada and daddy all in reference to Ben, can catch and throw (when rolled to him) a regulation sized basketball (Spud Webb maybe?) and drums everything that he comes in contact with so he's the percussionist in the family. We have a two-man band with Ben on strings and lead vocals. Avery is the back up vocalist/dancer and I'm the adoring fan...okay I'm a dancer too.


Miles has a surprise for everyone in August. It's a sharp one.


BRITTANY - She doesn't live with us, but she doesn't have a blog so I'm going to include her on mine (until she court-orders me to remove all references to her). As I write, she's on a plane with the owner of $tarbuck$. Not just any plane. His plane. After spending the weekend at his house. And dining with the family. All I need to know is how many degrees does this separate me from Kevin Bacon?


ACQUISITIONS -

One sofa.



Two surfboards. One long, one short.



WHAT WE'VE BEEN LISTENING TO (and Miles has been bouncing to) -

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls (Dad - you'll like the "Stand by Me" bass line) I like this kid cause he says he won't use bad language cause he considers himself a role model.


WHAT I HEAR BEN LISTENING TO WHEN HE'S "STUDYING" (he's probably watching the video)-

Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry


WHAT MY NEIGHBORS ARE LISTENING TO -

The Carpenters

They are college age boys.

INTERESTING READS -

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Biceps from Men's Health July/Aug. The best thing I've read in a long time.






STOCK PERFORMANCE - I'm going to change my picks on the side bar for the next month so for the record here's a what happened this month:

(Disclaimer - These are for fun and should not be construed as advice. You obviously shouldn't hold a stock on a one month basis just to, some are meant to be owned long term - others for a day. These are just companies that I like from an investment perspective. However, if you make money from a stock you see here I will gladly take a commission. :))


UA - Under Armour Up 45.65 to 65.13 Gain of $ 19.48/share

CROX - Crocs Footwear Up 41.84 to 58.58 Gain of $ 16.74/share

TGT- Target Down 63.60 to 60.54 Loss of $3.04/share (but it did hit above $70 during the month)

FSLR - First Solar Up 89.29 to 107.50 Gain of $18.21.share (this stock was all over the place)

NTDOY - Nintendo Up 45.85 to 61.25. Gain of $15.40 (i love this stock. i bought it when i couldn't get my hands on a wii.)

It was a good month...now only if we had some major amounts of real money to invest...




Are you still alive after all that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - love the sofa! where was that in SA?

hopefully avery is just being the typical three year old with the volume control and huh? Madi says huh? after everything i say but hears a train 20 miles away.

as for your best read all month - heck yah! i love picture books!!!

aaahh, i miss you lynn - you're still crackin' me up!

alise said...

surfboards--yay! I also thought I spotted a skim board a couple of blogs back.

Brittany--hahaha. Classic! That girl.

alise said...

oops, I meant "blog entries" not blogs.

CHRISTY said...

Yes! I made the blog!!! Bring Avery to the midwest and I will get that audiologist I know to check her out:)