Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

U.S.A - 1 Pirates - 0

AP (NAIROBI, Kenya) - Navy SEAL snipers on the fantail of a destroyer cut down three Somali pirates in a lifeboat and rescued an American sea captain on Easter Sunday. The surprise nighttime assault in choppy seas ended a five-day standoff between a team of rogue gunmen and the world's most powerful military.

Yo Ho! Take that. I don't know why but this story just made my day. Yes, I do know why, it's because I'm a news junkie and usually what I read is just sad sad sad. Generally I don't check in much with the computer or TV on weekends but I have been following this story closely because, like polygamists, these modern day pirates intrigue me and I found myself praying for this captains rescue, especially after he escaped once by jumping overboard and was recaptured.

Aside - I know Pirates don't make the best topic for an Easter Sunday entry so if you are desirous of something inspiring of a religious nature, I highly recommend this but read on...

So piracy (on the high seas and not just of digital media) in 2009? What?! I know Johnny Depp made pirate culture cool again but these "rogue" Somali's are taking it too far. I'm sure there are pirates from other countries too but right now the Somali's hold 12 ships and over 230 international mariners hostage*. A few days ago they took a French family that was out sailing hostage and death ensued.

This particular U.S. ship captained by the heroic Mr. Phillips had "been carrying food aid bound for Rwanda, Somalia and Uganda" when "crew members said they saw pirates scrambling into the ship with ropes and hooks from a small boat bobbing on the surface of the Indian Ocean far below". Ropes and hooks? Now all I can picture is Capt. Hook... I'm having a hard time getting out of fantasy land while at the same time understanding the horrific reality of modern real life pirates. Even Hillary Clinton recently chuckled when speaking about the growing threat of pirates. I don't know if she was picturing Depp or Hoffman when she committed her faux pas but we have to switch gears because pirates are now real. When Chelsey recently posted about going on a sailing trip I have to admit that pirates crossed my mind. Hopefully pirates aren't stalking Catalina Island but you never know. Before too long it might not be politically correct to have your kid be a pirate for Halloween or have a pirate themed party.

Aside #2 - For the record Ben has always thought it a crime for to wear pirate/nautical inspired striped shirts and I always get an "Arrrrr" from him if I dare put one on.

Anyhow, I applaud this ships captain who willingly offered himself up to save his crew, his crew - who regained control of their hijacked ship, the Navy Seal snipers who acted swiftly and accurately and Pres. Obama for not negotiating with terrorists of any type (eye-patch or no eye-patch) and for ordering the rescue effort.



* Plus we don't have a great history with this country - remember Black Hawk Down? If you read the book you probably remember the atrocities that occurred in the Somali capital of Mogadishu. If you saw the movie you probably have no idea what was going on. Even if you read the book first then saw the movie you would still have no idea what was going on. It was a terrible movie. But, I also want to say that I feel very sorry for the average - non-violent Somali people, I'm sure they endure many hardships, which I'm sure drives many to piracy and crime to survive.

6 comments:

amy Woolace said...

Word! Arrgg!
I agree, what the heck is happening? Time to step up and put an end to these renegade swashbucklers.

bhamchick said...

yeah I love this story too....Good shots by the Navy Seals!!!

Tami said...

Glad to know I'm not the only news junkie out there. I love this post, and am glad that we already had a piratae party for Porter so we don't have to worry about being PC. I also have a shirt that I get an "arrr" out of when I wear. It's not striped, just really ruffly.

Kathleen Ainsworth said...

I love reading your blog! If you're ever bored with your own I'd be happy to have you keep up with mine! Your new house is so beautiful! I can't wait to come visit!

sara said...

i knew ben followed pirate's booty carefully, but i had no idea you did too.

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

You're so smart lynn- you know a lot of stuff!! i loved reading your post- enough that i may read more about the pirates!! I hope you all had a great Easter!! we miss and love you guys!!