Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, February 27, 2009

"Top Shep". Or, Why my children play with knives.

We like to cook. And I just happen to have two very talented sous chefs who love to pull up a chair and lend a hand. They can trim, chop and peel (garlic is Avery's specialty), stir and measure.

























She also washes dishes and sets a mean table:

I'm gonna have to make that plaid dress into an apron one day because she seems to like to wear it when she's helping (these pictures were taken in different months in 2008 - back when we were all still tan)

Miles, on the other hand, is still in training. This is what happens when he tries to make breakfast (two separate occasions):























---
Explanation for the knives in apple picture below. I was around the corner, about 12 ft away, watching "Top Shep" as Miles calls it (Top Chef) . Usually we watch it as a family affair (What? Bravo bleeps out all the bad words) but this time he was taking the opportunity to hone his knife skills in the kitchen. There would be no plastic knife for him this time! I kept hearing him say - "It's a king!", so I think he thought he was making a crown for the apple. Poor defenseless apple half. Part of me was horrified (a very very small part) , part of me giggled and part of me was amazed that he could get all those knives in there, climb down off the counter and bring it to me. I figured that the photo would horrify some and make others laugh, or like me, maybe a little of both.


9 comments:

amy Woolace said...

This is great! I love the look on his face too! So proud of his 'king'!
I too was impressed at the amount of knives in the poor apple half, I even tried to count. Very impressive Miles! Perhaps a knife thrower/entertainer in the future.... And Avery you can come help my cook in my tenny-wenny kitchen anytime!

amy Woolace said...

Miles - let's toast to toast!

Tami said...

How did you get Avery to start doing dishes? Carol and Porter love to help cook, but that's where it ends.

Sarah said...

I have to say I was shocked at the knife picture. Have a 2 year old boy myself, I have to say you are one brave woman. I don't want J to even have butter knives!

Ambitious Crafter said...

Glad you're able to instill in Avery & Miles the love of cooking. It's going to take them far - if not professionally at least you know they won't starve :D

Ashley Locke said...

Thanks for the explanation of the knife picture! Just got your present for Paiton, so cute! Thank you!!

The McKinstry Family said...

That sounds like Chan and Spence, they always are right next to me stirring and trying to cut. They like to empty the dishwasher and dry, but not actually scrub. Such cute pics, love the toast.

Jennie said...

You have to make a quilt out of it for her, she might just say yes to seeing it go away if she can have it on her bed forever, and carry it around maybe? I remember when she got that dress. And I'm glad both your kids like to cook. Ben loves it, Nathan wouldn't be slowed down enough to help me with anything like that. He somehow manages to show up just when I have beaters to like though.

Kimi said...

I love Top Chef myself but I could not be me and not comment - a 12pk of Dr. Pepper on the counter? Aaahh, Ben, who should be driving a white van with no windows if you are gonna sport that stache, you make me proud!!! Question is - have you converted Lynn or sucked the kids into the wondeful wonder of caffine and sugar that is Dr. Pepper? :)