Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Binkless

Today marks four weeks of Miles without the bink. We weren't planning* on having him give it up just yet, I was still using it as a bribe for potty training, sleeping and general good behavior when we were in all of these stores we have to go to to pick out stuff for the house. But one day we forgot it and it just happened. The first couple days were painful - for me - I had to hide the binky stash from myself so I wouldn't give it to him. But he never missed a nap, and his behavior was the same. He asked for it for a few days, finally I gave him one I knew he hated to see what he would do. He said "not this one" and he and his dad had a ceremonial tossing (dunking really) of the bink into the trash. You could see the regret flash on his face for a second as he realized what he had done but was quickly cajoled into some chest thumping and celebrating his victory over that bit of silicone and colored plastic. We are now binkless.



*When Avery was two we were on the road - a new home every six weeks for a good portion of the year, thus we felt she and we, needed the binky. But as our travels came to an end we knew it was time to get rid of the pacifier - and give her a few months without it before a new baby came into the house and had one (which she stole all the time). But our great plan with her - because I think usually there should be a plan and some sort of explanation that the kid can wrap their mind around as to what happened to their little plastic friend - was that we would have accidentally left the binky on the plane and we'd have to get it next time we would be on a plane. She was a little sad, but our little scheme/trick/lie works and everytime she would see a plane fly by she would point and say "my binky!"

4 comments:

Breeana said...

We have done the ditch the pacifier routine three times now. The first three days are always the worst. With Isabella, I told her that if she left all of her pacifiers in a pile in her room, the Pacifier Fairy would come and take them and leave her a toy behind. The Pacifier Fairy did come, leaving behind a Belle doll that Isabella adored. All afternoon she kept saying, "I love you, Pacifier Fairy." Fast forward to bedtime---Isabella in her crib screaming, "That Pacifier Fairy is MEAN!! She stole my pacifier. She's MEAN!!" At least she wasn't blaming me and I could comfort her. "Your right, darling. She's a mean, mean lady. But let's just snuggle your dolly and make the best of it."

JMK said...

Julia gave her "bink" to the Dentist at 2 1/2! We then took Samuel's away at 14 months b/c Julia would be tempted. Poor Samuel! Not sure what I'll do on the 3rd. Glad to hear Miles is doing well w/o his plastic pal.

TOVAR said...

I think you have the most successful bink separation stories I have ever heard. You should write a self help book about it for all the moms who agonize of the experience. As for myself, it kind of blows my comfort in my children never wanting the bink. I used to always tell myself, "Well I can make it through the "few" (exaggeratedly reduced to help the argument) times I would love the bink, to avoid the pains of getting rid of it later."

Unknown said...

Jealous jealous... Noah loves his bink so much. I think he'll be one of those 5 year olds (Like Kate :) that just loves the binkie!