Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Homemaking 101


The lesson I was to give this week in Young Women's was entitled Homemaking. I don't know why seeing that title made me bristle when that is in fact what I have chosen to do myself. Must be the same feminist in me that bristles when I have to put homemaker down as my title when I file taxes, or the one who wishes that people could see me (and the other hundreds of highly educated women that I know) for the college-educated person that I am and for the "business analyst" that I was, instead of just a mother of two. But again, I have chosen a different path for now. One I know I am lucky to be able to choose.

But how do you teach this topic - especially when the book that you are to teach from is outdated? Well, first you put your feminist pride aside and realize that the book isn't so bad and that the values in it are worth being taught. I never once read anything about not getting an education and instead getting married and having kids right away, about having to stay at home, about being submissive, about having a hot meal on the table and a smile on your face when hubby comes home. What the book taught was about the difference between homemaking and housekeeping, about appreciating what your mother does for you, whether she has a full-time job or "simply" stays at home (4 out of the 5 girls I taught, have mothers who work outside the home) and about finding your talents and magnifying them.

It was the perfect springboard for the things I had to say on the topic - develop skills, get an education (college or trade school), have a hobby, and find a husband that will support your interests and admire your talents. We talked about hopes and dreams and their what their home will be like when they are in charge of a household. Some like to cook, some like to garden, others enjoyed organizing. I don't remember thinking about those things much at their age, but then again I don't think anyone asked. And then again I got married before I had a chance to really think about those things. Marriage wasn't exactly on my radar when it came knocking. Luckily it suits me.

So during our conversation I decided to have a little fun and had the girls shaking something and passing it around. It was in a container and wrapped in a bag so they couldn't see what it was. It was heavy cream and salt. By the end of the class they had made butter. How domestic of them! I made bread that morning - how domestic of me! And together we enjoyed the fruits of homemaking.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

What a neat idea - the butter making, I mean.

And thanks for a great post on homemaking. You are right, it is tough sometimes to say "I'm JUST a homemaker and mother of two" not the superstar IT analyst I once was - but it suits me and I'm blessed to be able to do it.

Malena's Originals said...

Being a stay at home mom is tough work and a luxury in today's time. Enjoy it :D In regards to butter making - very creative. Bread with butter is my weakness.

Breeana said...

Anyone who knows you wouldn't dare call you JUST a homemaker. You are funny, adorable and smart. I know the feeling, though. My kids are always shocked to find out I had a life before them and that I was (gasp) GOOD at things besides mommying.

We have the homemaking lesson in Young Women's next week---luckily it isn't my week to teach.

sara said...

i always put down 'homemanager' as my job description.

Pattersons said...

you're so smart lynn! i bet the bread and butter was yummy:)

jen said...

It's interesting that you were never taught these things and yet you're so good at it. You are a great example to these girls that you can have both...an education, and a family. I agree, those books are outdated I believe they are the same lessons I recieved over ten years ago.