Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Where a kid can be a kid.


On her actual birthdate we celebrated with chocolate lava cakes and ice cream but what she really really really wanted to do was go to Chuck E. Cheese. I didn't know if I could do it, but I put my child first and we went. I made her a castle cake (out of boxed funfetti cake - can you believe it Chelsey? Horrifying I know.) and let her have all the tokens she wanted. Unfortunately we ordered their pizza. Ben refused to play me in air hockey - he's never beat me - but played DDR (against the kid who had been there for hours sweating up a storm - you know there is always one of them). Miles thought the fun of tokens was just putting them in the slot and moving along his merry way. I hit the lucky jackpot on a couple games and scored major tickets, which would ensure that we came home with lots of junk.












Things were really going fine until the party moved in at the table next door. The birthday girl was turning two - as evidenced by her princess sash she was wearing, that went with her princess dress and princess crown. And her balloon bouquet. And her two professional airbrushed Disney cakes. And her mound of presents. Well, looks like it was time for us to be going...I can't compete with that.

10 comments:

Kimi said...

Yes - last year she got her party and then on her actual bday we went to good ol' Cheester's. Glad to know those "custom" printouts are all the same whether you are east coast or west coast :) Love the cake and who needs airbrushing anyways (well besides my face and thighs!) - homemade is where it's at baby - good job Mom!

Pattersons said...

looks like you all had fun-and the cake looks great lynn!

Tami said...

I don't know if I would be able to give in to Chuck-E-Cheese. You're a good mom. The cake looks great. I'm sure that 2 year old will remember all the money her parent's spent on her birthday party, and realize how much more they love her than you love Avery:). I teach valliant 9! It's a rough crowd, but somebody has to do it.

Unknown said...

So proud. And I bet it was delicious.

amy Woolace said...

I Love the pencil sketch of you two. You both are so beautiful!

The McKinstry Family said...

Looks like you guys had a fun Jan. Spence is 2 1/12 and he can barely get his pants on the right way, forget about the shirt it ends up in a pile on the floor. I think Peds. expect too much out of kiddos. Looks like Avery had a great birthday, gotta love chuck-e-cheese.

jen said...

ya, some parents over do it. i'm tried to keep alyssa's #2 as simple as i could. but if i had an endless amount of money, i might do it all. your cake looked great, i bet avery loved it. what a fun mom you are!

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

I love the cake-nice job. And way to brave the Chucky Cheese pizza--we got some once out here and vowed we'd never buy it again. Ben and I were both sick for two days.

Sarah said...

Great job on the cake - I like to make my own cakes too

sara said...

i love the chuck e. cheese sketch. mia gets three or four every time we go. the last time we went there trey got in trouble for punching chuck e. and calling him a dirty rat. we'll be changing the location we visit now.