Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Talking Points

As is generally the case when moving into (or out of) a ward, we were asked to speak in church this Sunday*. Most of the time the bishopric has a topic in mind for the meeting. This time we were given free reign. Considering they don't know us that well, that was pretty...surprising, foolish, kind? Armed with a litany of talks from the previous General Conference we searched for inspiration. Ben found his quickly and settled on exploring the virtue of charity - as in giving of what we have to others charity. He had his thoughts arranged and ready to be delivered in a matter of hours. Meanwhile I had worked all week to pull something together and for hours the night before and still had nothing cohesive. I set my alarm for 5am and thought I could use the peace and quiet of the morning (translation - my kids would be asleep) to focus. With a racing mind I couldn't sleep when it came to me - I could give a talk I had given before. I jumped up and searched for a file on the computer that might give me rest. Sure enough, I had two to choose from. I settled on a version of the final talk given in our ward in Maryland - I updated it with a few new quotes, tweaked it here and there and it was good to go.

We gave our talks and after church someone gave the obligatory "thanks for your talk today" compliment. She followed it up with a "as often as you move you should file that one away to give again"

(Smile, laugh)

I'll think about it.


---

*Avery gave a talk in Primary last week. Her topic - We are all children of our Heavenly Father. She drew a picture of the Earth, complete with outer-space, she sang "Jesus Loves the Little Children" (you know - the probably politically incorrect - "red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight"), and said a few words about how He wants us to be happy because he made us and that we should be kind to each other. It was a brilliant 45 seconds.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like there was brilliance all around from the Westbrooks. We should have gone to your ward (although ours was uncommonly good [like Keebler cookies] last week too). =)

Pattersons said...

sounds like a winner to me;)

Merrill Brower said...

That lady from church is a smart cookie.