Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Oppressor no more.






With Ryan's selfless service to his country and having turned out to be an excellent husband and father, I think it is time to formally release him as an oppressor of women. Of course I am taking the liberty of speaking for a small group of liberated (yet anonymous) women but I think 12 years is sufficient time to have passed in order to do so...right ladies?
-
For some this bit of humorous nostalgia will need no explanation. If you need a little background - a few of us in high school started a feminist underground newspaper called "In Bloom". We claimed that the purpose of our publication was "not to say that women are superior" but rather our goal was "expression: beautiful, sincere, truthful EXPRESSION". Although I'm pretty sure that the article entitled Why Guys Suck doesn't fall into the latter category. It only lasted a few issues...but it may have contributed to my getting a scholarship from the National Organization of Women (NOW) (I'm sure they would be pleased with the choices I have made with my life - ha!) Anyhow, I'm glad I saved them because they are quite funny all these years later. I may release more writings but I'll probably have to censor some of it first.

11 comments:

amy said...

I agree. Ryan, I vote to release you.
I still have a few copies of these too, and of the...Helium Tank...? Is that what it was called? E.P.I.S. Luke Sutton and I were reminiscing about these publications recently. Oh the Womyn we were. ;)
Thanks for initiating the release of Ryan.

amy said...

...and I like the side note that JC Thompson was making progress... :)
JC should be released as well

jen said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Lynn, this is hilarious! I slightly remember hearing about this. I think it's great. Ryan has come a long way...but don't get fooled he still has to fight those oppressive thoughts and actions. Hopefully I have contributed to the transformation. I like to think so. Can't wait for him to see this!

The Shields Family said...

This made me laugh so hard I cried! We miss you in the ward. The service auction just isn't the same without Ben. We kind of feel like the sad little medical leftovers in the ward. We just never leave. People still think of us as medical students, which, since we've been here 7 years, doesn't say much for their opinion of Justin's intelligence, does it? That would make him a Super, Super, Super Duper Senior. Ha! Breeana

The Shields Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tarah said...

I suppose with my vote that about makes a majority, right? I think it is also worth mentioning that we did have a man on staff, just to quell those liberal feminazi rumors that could begin flying around...

Tarah said...

Was the Helium Tank the one that got Jutar nearly in trouble for a choice drawing of MR. McConahay?... Vote 2nded for JC Thomson too.

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

seriously... that is hilarious... was ryan like 12 in that picture?? what funny memories. please release more!! (by the way... it was so fun to see you, hope we can make the trek north soon!! :)

jen said...

ya, ryan looks like he's 12 huh. he said that is what mad him mad when it was first released. it was released his senior year and the picture is his freshman. it's funny how much they change from freshman to senior...i love that man of mine.

Tarah said...

By the way, JC Thompson would like to thank the board for releasing him.

alise said...

I didn't realize that was a picture of Ryan until I read the comments. Um, I thought it was an old woman involved in the women's suffrage movement.