Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Olomana - Peak One



There is one hike that I really wanted to conquer before we left and with my mom here I thought we might be able to do it even with the kids. Mt. Olomana, or "Oahu's Matterhorn" as it's been called, is a hike with three distinct peaks or ridges that are just begging you to climb them. The first peak is a steep ascent but not as dangerous as the second two and I was never planning on taking the kids past the first and frankly I'm still shocked that we made it to the first. Props to A. who hiked at least four miles round trip from car to summit and back. At one point she even referred to the rest of us as "slowpokes" as she scrambled up rocks like a champion (I was sure that she got her mountain goatedness from me - but I found out a few days later it may not be so). One thing that was cute was that she misunderstood the concept of reaching the "peak" and instead kept finding "peeks" along the way where she would look out over the world below. Miles got a free ride to the top and back, sleeping through most of the trip but giving a few encouraging "weeeee's" along the way down.


2 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

Awesome pictures! Wish we would've been able to visit. We'll definitely have to pay you guys a visit in WA.

alise said...

Beautiful. I LOVE looking at all your pictures. It's so cool that you guys were able to live in Hawaii for an entire year! Obviously the memories are priceless, and you have some amazing pictures to take you back whenever you miss Hawaii. I'm sad we were never able to get out there.