Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Moloka'i

My mom is here to help me with the kids while we get ready to depart, but rather than clean, pack or organize what I really wanted to do was go to another island. So we went to Moloka'i. The plane ride over was amazing. It was a nine seater propeller plane and the view was worth a million dollars - far more than what it cost ($50).

We only spent two days there but the lifestyle is so slow that it felt like a week. There are no traffic lights on the island and only one chain restaurant - you guessed it... Subway :) (it's a little known fact that there are more Subway's than McD's worldwide) Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much but I thought it had some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Between the small plane and the private beach time I felt like a celebrity with my own private island. I was set to fly back this weekend so Ben could experience Moloka'i but the flights are all sold out.

A few highlights for me was seeing Kalapaupa - the leper colony (if you want to know more about it I fully recommend The Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the exiles of Molokai). You aren't allowed down there if you are under 16 so I didn't get to tour it this time (on account of the kids), but we did hike along the worlds tallest sea cliffs and visit Hawaii's longest white sand beach. Another place of interest was Phallic Rock - where according to Hawaiian legend women trying to concieve can sleep here and be rewarded with child. Interesting and almost embarrasing to look at. There is a picture in the slide show (we're all adults here people).

No comments: