Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Car Talk - Drivers Wanted.


These are my keys. Yes, they are taped. These keys start the car that I love to drive. But, we have come to a juncture. A crossroad, a crux, a turning point. Should I stay or should I go? I need advice. You need some history.
-
-
We bought our 2000 Passat Wagon used in January 2005 from a gem of a seller. The car was garage-kept, dealer maintained with service at recommended intervals. A car-owner after my own heart. We have record of every major and minor detail from this car's birth. Exquisitely maintained and carefully driven, we bought this car when circumstances and concern for safety required that we have a second and more robust vehicle to tote around our bundle of joy. We focused our search on the old reliables - Honda and Toyota. But what we found was that for the same price we could get a newer model VW with less miles and more features thanks to significant and rapid depreciation for these cars. A loss for the owner who had bought it new, a gain for us.
After driving a few we found "the one" and thus began a beautiful relationship. So here's where it gets ugly. The car costs a lot to maintain. Timing belt - $950. Rear Brake Pads - $500. Synthetic Oil Changes - $65 (although only every 6 mo.) Anti-Lock Brake System - $700 (that's coming up this next week, the brakes work fine, just not the ABS) and so on. I don't mind making repairs on an older car. It's the trade-off and to be expected when you don't have a car payment. In fact, I've always found it a pleasure to pay for preventative maintenance, even the big ones. It's like tithing to me, it feels good and I'm grateful to have a car to repair. But I'm starting to mind this one. Mostly I'm scared. Scared to roll the dice. This car has been treated well and we've enjoyed it. But this particular generation of VDub's is known to have some fatal flaws. Repairs that make the amounts above look like chump change. Or, the car could give us another 70,000 miles of driving excitement, free of major coinage.
So do we hang up her license plates, cut our losses and sell her while we can get most of our investment back? If that happens we will need to get a replacement*, which will probably also be used, but one that is cheaper to repair. But I will miss the interior space (a person can still fit in the backseat next to two car seats and not be squished and the driver and front passenger are like a mile apart), the heaviness of the doors, the sound system, sunroof, roof rack, Tiptronic transmission (okay I never actually use it but it looks cool), the quietness inside, an awesome A/C, an engine with a lot of get-up and overall great German handling**. I do not care for driving and I like to drive this car. Buying a newer one or one whose maintenance history we can't verify is out. Selling a car while we have the integrity and peace of mind (and records to back it up) that the car is in great shape is a must to me as well. What should we do?
-
*Cars I like but cannot afford as a replacement yet - GMC Arcadia, Saturn Vue, Honda CRV, Acura MDX, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Santa Fe. If gas consumption weren't an issue - Nissan Armada. And my "dream car", the very exciting Volvo XC90.
**We also get superb gas mileage for a car of it's size and heft - 29-30 MPG for a automatic transmission - priceless!

10 comments:

The Expatts said...

We had a similar dilemma a few months ago with our car, and ended up getting a newer used car. We love it, but I still think of our older one, miss some things about it, and wonder if there would ever have been a major problem with the tranny or not... Good Luck!

amy said...

Well perhaps not the 'advice' or should I say info you're looking for, but here goes. Leave the car on the island. For a multitude of reasons, many of which you already pointed out. I might throw in that I am thinking of selling my 05 Civic Hybrid. A bit small for a family car, but something to keep in mind I suppose. I am the original owner with all the upkeep, close to 40 thousand and never a single issue. I love it, but my 150lbs dog needs a truck I think.
Love you and good luck

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I told you and Ben not to make the purchase because the repair costs are outrageous. I have learned from experience (over 6000 dollars in repairs to my jetta) that German cars cost alot to maintain. Granted, my Jetta now has 120,000 miles on it and my Bug has over 100,000 miles. But they have been very expensive to maintain. Cut your losses while you can. I think I saw the Dog eyeing volkswagons in his last episode before cancellation. See if he would like to invest in a great car.

Lynn said...

thanks dave. my mom said she told us the same thing. but i only hear what i want to hear. and i still do love my car.

Unknown said...

I love how you knew it was Dave! He always comments anonymously... creepy! Anyway about the car, I also love my VW so much and really think I will cry when we sell it. It fits me and it's small and zippy! Our keys are also taped like yours, very high class.

alise said...

If you want to play it safe, you can't go wrong with a Toyota. I LOVE our Prius. I'm a VW fan, but I've always received the same advice. Avoid! Get rid of it while you can--go with you're gut.

Doug and Merrill said...

Not that you will (and I totally understand), but I do know a car salesman.

Erick & Norma said...

We love our 1969 Volkswagon Squareback however that is a total different car from what they make now. Don't buy a Saturn anything, they do not get very good ratings in Consumer Reports Magazine and from what i remember my friend hated his. We purchased a 2005 Honda CRV, have put 75'000 miles on it and is running great.

Erick

Erick & Norma said...

Tell Ben i recommend on purchasing a 1971 TUNA BOAT. It was his favorite car.

Niki E said...

carl's in the same boat... loves the VWs we have, but doesn't want to pay for their maintenance once the warrenty expires. he's lease is up in aug... i doubt we'll stay with vw. we've had one since '00.