Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

We are AWANA Cubbies.



20+ years ago, my sisters and I started going to AWANA, a weekly program that has activities, games and scripture mastery for which you can earn badges, pins, the chance to go to camp, Awana Olympics and more! I think it was an important factor in shaping who I am today and we really looked forward to Wednesday nights at grandma and grandpa’s, who faithfully listened to our memorized verses, sewed on patches and shuttled us to and from church. So needless to say I was excited when I saw a local churches banner outside advertising the start of a new Awana year. And Avery is old enough to join! She is currently a Cubbie, and although I never was one since I started out in the next age-group up, I still remember the Cubbies song. It's weird how things come back to you years later. I peeked into the gym while the older kids were playing and was amazed that they are still playing the same games there as well, bean-bag toss, 4-way tug, 3 legged race and the balloon relay. I remember it like yesterday.





*The acronym Awana comes from the first letters of Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed from 2 Timothy 2:15.

5 comments:

alise said...

I was so jealous of my friends that got to go to Awanas. Seemed so cool to me.

Unknown said...

Too cute. Do they have Awanas for adults? If so, I need to join. I could use a little excitement in my life.

jen said...

too cute! she looks so proud!

April said...

This is adorable and a great idea. Everyone in The Woodlands goes to AWANA...I'd love to hear what they said when they asked your affiliation! Tell me some other time. Hopefully they said "cool!"

Christine said...

Hey Lynn! I decided I better let you know I've been looking at your blog so I'm not a total voyeur. I followed the links from Darcy's blog a coupe of weeks ago to check out how all the Westbrooks are doing and your blog is so funny and interesting I've been coming back to it. It sounds like things really are like paradise there and you guys are really happy. And your kids are so cute! Anyway, thanks for letting me stick my nose in...
Love, Christine (Patterson, my new last name is Frandsen)