Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Most Dramatic Rose Ceremony Ever


I first started watching The Bachelor in it's first season...hard to believe that it must have been around six years ago, because Ben and I were living in Texas. Americans must have really needed something inane or ridiculous to get our mind off of 9-11, plus reality TV was just starting to take off. I watched the first few seasons, then my better judgment kicked in and it seemed to get more salacious so I stopped (watching faithfully that is, I must have caught a few episodes here and there, now as I look at the list of Bachelors and realize I am familiar with most if not all*). I hardly expected that two kids and four states later it would still be on, or that I would be watching it. But about 3 seasons ago I did resume the habit (either it got less bawdy, or I became more base). First there was Dr. Stork and we (a group of med. school wives) had to watch it and then Prince Lorenzo and then Lt. Andy Baldwin (an officer and a gentleman, which we also had to watch because he was a doctor in the military. the husbands even joined us for that one. it's way more fun to watch it in a group, especially with guys and girls) and now there is Brad Womack, he's my favorite so far, because he's actually manly, and after last night. I like him that much more.
Because I'm pressed for time (due to watching too much worthless television) here is an excerpt by Mary Beth Ellis for MSNBC on how it all went down:



In a show that has been rarely been little more than an opportunity to knock back the womens’ movement a good 40 years one rose at a time, this season’s edition of polygamy on parade promised an “unprecedented” ending. Rumors swirled over a request to date both, an instant Vegas wedding, an “actually, I’m gay” — not many expected that Brad would stone-cold drop the final two. Bachelors have upended the “I’d like to see where this amazing incredible journey takes us” wheelbarrow before, but to stand before each with “I have to say goodbye”? Ouch.

For once, a bachelor gave “The Bachelor” a great big one-finger salute — and it wasn’t by slipping a big old diamond on the left hand of a tooth-whitened real estate agent from Tampa. Brad didn’t issue a proposal, or a promise ring, or even an “I love you — I’m just not in love with you.” He rejected both finalists.

Read her full article here. She wrote exactly what I would have written had I the time and eloquency.
Although Tuesday, is a no TV day for me, I feel I must make an exception and watch The Bachelor: After The Rose special tonight.
.
*Britt is even more familiar with Bachelor related "stars" as she met Mark Burnett (producer) and Chris Harrison (host) in the elevator once in NY (she thought Chris was a creep - must have been a long elevator ride to determine that) and has hung out a handful of times w/ Estella, "winner" of season 4. I can't resist the opportunity to name drop!

2 comments:

sara said...

dang, i wish i would have seen that! i love the drama of reality tv. now that the writers are on strike, this is your chance to pitch the reality tv show about our family. all we need is a catchy title.

Unknown said...

Britt seems to be in the right place at the right time... all the time! She or Sam are always meeting or seeing someone famous! and I missed the finale so thanks for filling me in!