Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

My semi-annual trip to the salon.

I actually promised myself that I would start having standing appointments at the salon, instead of getting to the point where I am so frustrated with my hair that I want to cut it myself. After 4 years of not highlighting my hair (I just couldn't bear to let anyone but Heidi bring foil anywhere near my head, even if I had to fold them myself :)), and after realizing that I would not be in the vicinity of the Stuart Fraser salon for a long time, I had Chelsey go ahead and bring the sunlight back into my 'do this summer during our long layover in California.

Well, someone forgot to tell me that summer was over and that it might be a good time to freshen up the three inch visible roots. I think part of me was hoping that Heid or Chels would come visit us and want to work while on vacation. So I had to find someone and after reading good reviews online I found Danne who is supposed to be great at giving you hair that is appropriate for the Hawaii climate (HUMID!!!) and your lifestyle (I don't have one). He is Bumble trained so I felt like the girls would approve. Also, (besides the H. & C.) I prefer to go to men. My last three, now four, have been men, and although I'm not screening, straight men who like long hair which makes Ben happy (that they will keep my hair long, not that they are straight). Anyhow, Danne was no exception to this, even though I wanted to go a lot shorter (it's just too hot) and lighter, he ended up keeping it longish and taking it darker, via lowlights (even though he did compliment Chels' color choice and work). I think he knew what would suit me best even though next time I think I will still try to talk him into shorter and lighter :) One thing that was crazy was that he never used scissors once, just a razor as far as I could tell. He really seemed to understand my super-fine, curly underneath, straight on top hair and he identified the cowlick in my bangs immediately. Now if only I could learn how to use product...
Here are some before and after pics:


How I end up wearing my hair everyday, no matter how ambitious I started out:





The reason why I wear it in a bun everyday...
( i asked avery to take a pic of my hair and I think she was intent on getting the pony)





A few days after the cut/highlights:

(It looks lighter in these pics than it does in person...probably from the light through the window)






























Bonus Footage:

Because I know Sara loves it when I add stuff to a post days later...I was using the laptop and found some pictures of my hair after a couple (semi-annual, also) trips in Maryland. I don't think of myself as one who changes styles often, but maybe I have enjoyed a little more variety than I thought. I'd say these were late summer (bottom) and winter (top) 2005.






















back


front






before (yikes)


after (no cut, only semi-permanent color)

11 comments:

TOVAR said...

Fantastic hair. I am thinking of going to the wig version of hair. Think of the endless possibilities and no roots! Ok, may be not for me, but someday I will find the hair style that is meant for my hair type.

Tarah said...

Looks good! I went with the new mommy haircut (an impulsive decision that arose when, 7 months pregnant, the doctor put me on a diet)...a simple a-line that I thought would save me time. Instead I wear it in a mini ponytail everyday until it can grow back out. Anyhow, I hope that you had a happy thanksgiving!

kelly said...

i love the color! i think it's really pretty!

sara said...

now that you live on the island, you have to go lighter. i love it.
i also love miles' dance video the gangster airbrushed t-shirt fits the music perfectly.

alise said...

I clicked on Danne, and girl, I thoughts yous was preggers! Check out what comes up on his link! Hahahah! I thought it was a sly way to announce it, until I looked closer at the dates and all...

Love the pict of Ben and Miles!

alise said...

I think your hair looks great, the bun is cute--wish I could get past the pony tail...

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

That is such a cool picture of Ben and miles! And I love all the styles!:)Especially the one with the pony! We miss you guys!:) I catch Brady checking out your blog often!!

Erick & Norma said...

Love the hair! You remind me...it's about that time for me to go in for a trim and color...sadly, I have to go in to cover up some gray :[

Tami said...

Cute hair. I'm all too familiar with the bun.

Unknown said...

Well I am glad to hear that Danne approved my hair color job! And I am proud of you for getting out and getting those roots touched up! It looks really good.

jen said...

You look beautiful both brunette and blonde! Although I really LOVE the blonde! Good choice especially since you're an islander now.