Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Kite Runner

I bought this book on a Friday evening and was finished on Saturday by the time the sun went down. Intriguing, yes. Did I like it? I'm not sure. I had to finish it to get it out of my life, plus there is no good place to put it down. The character development is thrilling but haunting. Disturbing even. I was left wanting to know more about the country, culture and politics of Afghanistan and more compassionate for those who have sought safety and normalcy in our country. My sister said it makes her think twice about foreigners working lesser jobs here, jobs they may have been forced to take despite keen intelligence. But it's still disturbing. I had a hard time finding anything in it I could read-aloud to Avery when she approached me in the middle of the night, wanting to know what had me holed up in a dark living room with only a book light. So I made up a story about kites and kids who run with them whipping about. I should have told her a story about an American Indian whose name was Kite Runner, because that's what I thought it was about before I read it.

Anyhow, I'm giving my copy away. It's definitely not something I need to subject myself to again. And I need to make room for Hosseini's next book anyway. Like I said it's disturbing but intriguing. If you are interested at a chance at my book raffle just leave a comment stating so. You have a week to comment. I'll have a drawing next Monday. I'll try to get it to the "winner" before the movie is out next month and everyone is talking about it and ruining the unexpected.

4 comments:

Carlos said...

Lynn,

I got your blog link from Erick and Norma's. I've been reading your blog at work in b/w projects. From your postings it looks like you guys are adapting to your new hawaiian life style. Say hello to your hubby.

Carlos

Erick & Norma said...

one of my co-workers was talking about this book the other day. she loved it. found it very thought provoking, says she couldn't put it down. she's supposed to lend it to me. now i have to read it. i'll let you know once i finish and tell you what i think.

Anonymous said...

Give it to me Lynn. I love Afghanistan and all its wonderful culture, beautiful scenery and to die for vacation spots. Dave Booth

Heidi said...

I'm right in the middle of it now. I like it, you expained it well.