Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I never met a book I didn't like.

That's actually not true. I hated being forced to read The Sound and the Fury in high school and the term stream-of-consciousness evokes a shudder ever since (unless it's my own, of course). But for the most part, I enjoy reading a variety of authors and genres. Or at least I used to. Now I'm lucky to skim through a magazine article uninterrupted, much less escape to another place and time compliments of someone's literary artistry. I now turn to the good old boob-tube (why is it called that?) for entertainment and enlightenment because small hands cannot disturb or destroy it as well as the more important factor being that I can feed, diaper, fold laundry, exercise etc. at the same time.

I love the idea of sitting in bed, propped up by pillows in the soft glow of the side table lamp, or even better, one mounted on the wall behind me, engrossed in a tale (and since I'm fantasizing, I'm also wearing cute p.j.'s, the children are tucked in, and the kitchen is clean). I always imagined that staying home with the children would provide plenty of time to read and here I am, nearly four years later, still waiting for the chance to pick up the latest New York Times bestseller instead of Brown Bear, Brown Bear for the umpeenth time. Even the days of reading on an airplane, gone, especially now that the FDA condemns the use of antihistamines in children (disclaimer-I have personally never drugged my child, although it is tempting). I'm not a bathroom reading type, but if I were, I wouldn't be alone long enough to read the foreword. This is sad to me because I come from a reading family. Everyone always "has their nose in a book". Growing up, we were only allowed 30 minutes of TV a week (I couldn't wait for Full House - TGIF!), so reading was a natural hobby. Although hardly fine literature, I loved The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley Twins as well as the Indian in the Cupboard series and Little House on the Prairie! My mom, who knows best, would pay us ($1) to read classics and books she thought we should read. I'm thankful for that.

So what's all this leading up to? Well, I'm reading again! Not just reading, but devouring, and I'm so excited. Two factors contributed to this. Firstly, my friend April, who has two children, still reads...as I learned from from her blog, which in turn inspired me to attend our wards bookclub meeting. I wasn't sure if I would like reading what they suggested so I read the excerpts of the book they would be discussing on Amazon and went, hoping at the least to be able to meet new friends and find some other adults to talk to. Bonus - a selection of goodies from the Portuguese bakery. But the real bonus was the selection of books they have been reading or have slated to read. A couple I have read or am reading, and a few have been made into movies or are being made, hopefully well. I will be commenting on books as I read them but would love to know what you're reading, or raving about, or if you have any comments on the selections below. Meanwhile, Brown Bear Brown Bear what do you see...


9 comments:

Lamese "Mese" Ugapo II said...

I truly enjoy reading your blogs. I love your writing style. I am actually envious that my parents never encouraged me to read books. Now that I think about it they never really encouraged. But that's another blog entirely. Anyway I am truly jealous of you and Ben and your new living situation. Endless beaches and tropical fruit where and whenever...paradise. Plus SPAM sandwiches?! Does it really get any better? Take care guys. Hope to be able to visit soon.

alise said...

The last book I read was A Northern Light, by Jennifer Donnelly. I really enjoyed it. I read it with my 9th grade book club (that I am grateful to be teaching, it's the only thing that keeps me reading). I also read Fahrenheit 451 recently--I hadn't read that since high school. My friend Brooke hosts a book club, but until now, I have been too busy to keep up with the schedule. I'll be anxiously awaiting your book choices and reviews!!

ps. Here is a link to my friends (two of them to be exact) at goodreads.com. Brooke is an excellent resource for great books! (Notice mine is empty :( http://www.goodreads.com/friend/list

Brittany said...

I also love to read, but since I majored in English in college I had to read so many books with deep meanings and disect every little bit that after graduating I really kind of stuck to books that required very little thought. I have read Kite Runner and it is really good, but kind of sad. I heard the sequel is supposed to be excellent. Right now I'm just finishing up the Harry Potter series, I decided to hop on the Potter train.

ps Madison is in Pink and Hallie is in Yellow on my blog.

alise said...

p.s. that explains your eloquence (all that reading you've done :)--that and your natural intelligence of course. I also enjoy your style. Peace out. I need to get some work done.

Anonymous said...

I've read "Into the Wild" I thought it was excellent, even though I felt no sympathy for the guy it is about. Incidentally, I read this book around the time I went to Alaska, so that may explain why I liked it so much. Two books I highly recommend are "The Namesake" and "The Time Traveler's Wife . I read these a couple years ago, but haven't read anything better since. And I read a lot, especially now that I have all that time on the Metro.

Anonymous said...

Its funny that you should mention the Sound and The Fury-I was just telling someone how we were completely saturated with Faulkner thanks to Ms. LaChappa (well, at least we got the Cliff's notes versions :) I recently read "A Long Way Gone" and really enjoyed it, although the subject matter is sort of tough to "enjoy"...

Tarah said...

By the way, the anonymous one from October 5th is from me...I don't like being unknown so I went back and made an account. Just so that I could leave you a comment. Now that's dedication :)

Anonymous said...

I did not enjoy reading the Sound and the Fury either, but that was probably because my class was held in the makeshift bandroom of the old highschool and I had Mr. Kushall(i forgot how to spell it) who was more focused on looking at the girls than a good read. Go broncos!

Anonymous said...

Further, Into the Wild is trash. There is nothing i dislike more than hippies and their rebellion against the man. If that hippie had obtained a job and developed some work ethic he would not have ended up frozen in a bus in Alaska dead of starvation and some bacterial disease. Go Broncos!