Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

We all have our secrets

Once you've borne a child, your body is never the same. You may get back down to your pre-pregnancy weight, sure, but it's never quite the same. I'm not saying that it can't even be better. I don't mind my slightly curvier shape myself but there are some identifiable "trouble" areas. As a bonafide apple (which are you?) I have a surplus of dangerous visceral fat that has me destined for heart disease, diabetes, depression or myriad cancers. So far I feel fine (knock on wood), but in some clothes it just looks terrible. Would I trade for my trouble to lie somewhere else? I'm not sure...then I'd have to exchange my futile crunches for some equally annoying move like lunges so I'll just work with what I've got. And what I've got is a secret weapon called Higher Power, by Spanx. Thanks to Sara Blakley I can slip, okay slightly struggle, into this hosiery and voila! Goodbye propensity for heart disease...as far as everyone else can tell. I remember when I first got them, after having Avery. Ben was skeptical at first but even he is a believer now. To the point that he feels like he can tell me which outfits I might want to wear them with. For instance, we were going to church and he said (of course by this time we were already walking in, so too late to do anything) "you might want to wear your Spanky's with that dress" and I say "I am wearing them" he says "well, then your Spanx have lost their spank."

I guess it's time to sign up for auto-delivery.

7 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

I feel your pain! It's nice to see how you, Ben and the kids are doing in Hawaii. Feel free to check out our blog when you have a chance, I found yours through Heidi's blog. :) Take care and say hi to Ben for us.

alise said...

As an "apple" shape myself, I can definitely relate. I have tried spanx and other similar things, but I just can't bear to be cinched like that (especially with the other layers of clothing underneath). It's too hot, I sweat, and start freaking out. I wore my spanx to work one day and found myself taking them off after a couple of hours and stuffing them into my purse. I can't even wear anything on my feet other than flip flops or sandals. I need to breathe! So, I am trying to work that trouble area, and in the meantime just wear clothes that flatter my shape. At least that's what Leslie on What Not to Wear suggests. But I refuse to shop until I lose some more weight. And, I really should give away those jeans I could wear before kid #2 came along. I refuse to give up! We can do it! Just needs to be a serious commitment and lifestyle.

Unknown said...

Gotta love the spanx. They just make you look so wonderful and curvy!

Darcy Patterson said...

You are an answer to my prayers!!! I can't tell you how many tears I've shed over my jello belly... I definitely have the mom look... pulling my pants way above my belly button trying to conceal the chub! Thanks for sharing your little secret, I need all the help I can get!

sara said...

i blame my dryer. they just don't make them like they used to, it is shrinking all of my clothes! at least being a mom is worth the sacrifice of the figure. i'm a pear.

jen said...

yeah, I should be doing those lunges, being a pear shape. But I don't. I just count doing squats while holding Alyssa as my strength training. Did you know that there is also carrot and celery shapes? I read it in a magazine, funny huh.

Lynn said...

Ben says he is a strawberry which I guess would also be a carrot if such exists. Must be nice.