Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Nurse, can you call my wife and tell her I'll be late for dinner.

We usually schedule dinner around the 30 minute warning I get from Ben when he's leaving the hospital. Tonight, we had the missionaries scheduled to come at 5:30. When the calendar comes around at church I generally pass because I can't guarantee that Ben will be available but with this easier rotation and that fact that he has been home by noon for the last two Fridays I thought that today would be a good opportunity and a sure thing that he would be home.

It's 9:41. He's still not here or even on his way.

He called at 12:30 to tell me that he probably wouldn't make it before 6. So I rescheduled with them for between 6:15 and 6:30. He called again at 4 to say he probably wouldn't make it before 7. I rescheduled with them for 7. At 6:20 he called to say he could stay or come home but probably needed to stay and I agreed. He said he would probably be able to make it by 8, which was the latest the missionaries could come. When they called to get our address I asked if they could still come at 8 but they had to be at an appt. at 8:30 in the next town so I said come over at 7:30 and I'll have a plate ready to go (they are not permitted to visit a "single" female alone). Unfortunately, in all the scheduling and rescheduling they arrived at 7 and I was in the kitchen chopping avocado, wearing only a towel and a hairnet. Okay, just a towel. Not appropriate attire while having these righteous young men over, or anyone for that matter. Before they can get out of their car I dash into my room, close the windows and change with Miles crying cause I left his sight and bacon burning on the (Foreman) grill. I return, welcome the missionaries to sit outside on the lanai still hoping that Ben will make it home, if only for dessert. That's when I get the call. Luckily when I saw the hospitals number come up on caller ID I wasn't snippy because it was one of the OR nurses calling to tell me that "Dr. Westbrook" (ha) wouldn't be making it home in time for his guests.

So the missionaries got a fabulous meal (if I do say so myself), served in courses (only because I was still running 30 minutes behind and I couldn't really sit and chat with them anyway) and Ben gets:

-Spinich Salad with Tomato, Avocado, (slightly burnt) Bacon & Grilled Shrimp Skewers
(it's supposed to be served wilted...but not that wilted)
-Popovers
(the reason they are supposed to be consumed immediately is because they deflate)
-Kalbi Ribs
(can be reheated, so those were fine)
-Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies
(if I'm left alone with a freshly baked cookie for that long, they will not survive the wait. sorry)

It's 9:57, he's leaving the hospital now. Bon Apetite.

3 comments:

sara said...

i'm glad to see that you've taken up cooking again. does ben make you call him dr. ben? he should.

Lynn said...

no, just "Sir".

Unknown said...

I love it! you are so funny, I wish we were next door neighbors because you would make me laugh all the time. In 8 months Sara and I will also be married to doctors! Dave keeps reminding me of that.