Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Luau

If there was ever a time to forget your camera, this was not it. So bear with me as I describe the festivities. We missed the "opening ceremony" so I have nothing to report about that. However, having participated in the remainder of the evening I wished I had been the first one there. In the parking lot of the church a full-fledged carnival was underway. A castle shaped bounce house, cotton candy machine, popcorn stand, miscellaneous games (darts, ring toss, fishing, free throws etc.) and prizes galore. When I went inside, I thought maybe I had stumbled upon a wedding reception but the larger-than-life size image of the honoree riding in a carriage above the stage eliminated any doubt. There were lights, centerpieces and a live band. Towers and archways of balloons. And about 250 people. The food was traditional luau fare including kalua pig, steamed crab (black and red), lomi lomi salmon, poke, squid luau, sweet potato, poi and haupia (see a picture of what it might look like here) and for the first time I actually enjoyed the poi as I found out it is meant to eaten with something, like lomi salmon for instance.

I must interject that I thought that I threw a pretty darn good fake luau for Avery's first bday. Granted, I served mexican food, but it was a luau anyhow. But this party would put all of my parties combined to shame. This party was like 'my super sweet sixteen" for a one year old.

After dinner there was slide show, it was only fair to stay since we had just scored big on loot at the "carnival" (avery got an awesome j.lo necklace) and had enjoyed a major feast, plus, how long could a slide show of her first and only year of life be (i should have thought about how long a slide show of avery's first year of life would be before I passed judgement) and there were two tables full of party favors for those who made it to the end (that made me want to retrieve the gift I had brought and return with something far more worthy of the occasion). So we stayed (even though the band was playing the slightly uncomfortable "Keep Hawaiian Lands in Hawaiian Hands", is it just me or is everyone staring at us...(can't they see that Ben clearly is 1/16 Hawiian?) (mental note - work on tan)) and I'm glad we did. The slide show was only 5 songs long and we got our gift bags and were able to leave, happy, exhausted and high on cotton candy.

Gift Bag for Prince Miles.

2 comments:

sara said...

you're kidding. a one year old's birthday party. well i have to remember avery's sweet 3 going on 16 birthday party. that 1/16 hawaiian blood has come in handy more than once, we have to milk it for all it's worth. btw is it worth anything?

Darcy Patterson said...

lynn, you crack me up! i totally have envy, blog envy and hawaii envy! it brings back memories of my byu hawaii experience. do you ever feel like you are living in a foreign country?! i love your blog! it really makes ours look so boring!