Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Do you want fries with that?"

Since we moved here the topic of preschool comes up quite often...people always want to know how old Avery is, inevitably followed by the question "what preschool is she going to?" Since I haven't given it much thought I say "I don't know, I haven't given it much thought". And I know this isn't a big deal and that people are either trying to start mommy small talk or help me adjust to a new place but I feel slightly embarrassed that I hadn't actually planned on her going to preschool. I didn't realize it was compulsory. That was, until we went through the McDonalds drive-thru and the cashier looks in the backseat at Abes and says to her "why aren't you in school?"! She's in a carseat. She's three! And I was particularly sensitive to the subject since it's been on my mind.

So, is there something wrong with me for not wanting her to go to preschool? I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with preschool itself. We did a pre-school co-op last year and it was fun but she hasn't asked to go back and she didn't (nor did I) particularly enjoy the rush to get dressed, eat breakfast, and hurry up to the car. I like having her around and so does Miles, we go to playgroups and libraries and do all sorts of stuff (we now have an annual pass to the PCC for goodness sakes), we even have a loose routine. But am I crippling her in someway by resisting? Please weigh-in.

It's 10 am and both of my kids are asleep, Miles just went down for his morning nap, Avery should be waking up anytime now and I get to have breakfast and read or do whatever. I like our lazy mornings and our non-schedule for now. Kindergarten will come soon enough.

7 comments:

JBClawson said...

Hey, Lynn. It's Becca Clawson. I found you blog from Rachelle's blog. As far as preschool, I think you should do what you and Ben want to do. People should stay out of others business.

alise said...

I am "homeschooling" connor right now b/c preschool around here is so dang expensive. In January I will probably put him in something 2 or 3 part days. I say the keys to a good start in Kinder is social interaction, rule recognition and compliance, and basic number (count and recognize to 20) and letter recognition and sounds. If those are present pre-school is just often fluff and glorified daycare if you ask me. Right now I am just making sure Connor has lots of kids to play with (most important thing for this age if you ask me), and we too have a predictable routine. Pick up a few pre-k books at the local bookstore (e.g. Kumon trace the numbers/letters books), and start teaching Avery at home. 15-20 minutes a day is plenty. And, you know your kids best. Hunter really needed a lot of pre-school, especially the social aspects and routines, etc. He needed more than home with mom. Connor is a completely different kid.

alise said...

p.s. looking at those videos of the kids swimming again. Don't you just eat that up! I love every minute (well, let's not get carried away), but I so enjoy the time I get with Connor. And Nate writing right now is great b/c we often have mornings all together. I feel so lucky to be home to see my kids so much. Like you said "Kindergarten will come soon enough."

alise said...

wow, i write fast, and make a ton of errors too! Send your kids to me, I'm an teecher :} (remeber on the blog anything goze) hee hee.

April said...

Lynn,
I ask you, did Einstein go to preschool? Preschool is for the...I'll just leave that part out. Avery is a GENIUS AND you only live in Hawaii once.

sara said...

people just want to ship their kids off to day care, so they don't have to be moms. avery is too smart for preschool anyhow. she would be teaching them.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sara (not that I know you, but I still agree). I am one of those mom's who at times wants to ship my kids off to day care, but am glad I don't. With Porter starting kindergarten things have been crazy and I don't like having a set schedule. Like, why is it not okay for Porter to show up 15-30 minutes late for school? We slept in, or atlast I did. Enjoy Hawaii and being a family...school will happen eventually.