Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, September 1, 2007

August Recap



Ben- After thinking I might have to launch a "save Jerome" campaign, being that the long, stressful days of being a bottom-dwelling intern were starting to take a toll on the personality we all love so much, Ben is back. His alter-ego may be gone forever; there's not room in the hospital for a Dr. Jerome anyhow, and if there was he would keep the legal team busy that's for sure. So what caused this rally? A short vacation and visit with one of his brothers for one and a change of rotations to top it off. Ben is currently the plastic surgeon on call at the hospital. (Does that worry anyone else?) Although on call 24/7 this month (I am finding the pager on the hip surprisingly attractive) he doesn't have to leave until 6am and can be home as early as noon! (once a week) The attending doc actually told him, that he didn't expect him to leave at 1pm every day but that if he stayed past 3pm he would think less of him and not more. What that means for us is more guitar playing, more tinkering around the house (he built a nice little outdoor shower), some skateboarding, and commandeering of the television for football, tennis and team USA bball (just when do you go back to the hospital?). The unsettling part...Ben has a 500 page book of breasts that he "has" to study. And he likes to say he's "making the world a better place, one breast at a time". I hope it's two at a time and I'd like to remind him that he should spend as much time studying noses and eyelids just to be fair.

On a more sacred note...

At church we were called to be ward missionaries. We have done this before back when it was a stake assignment and enjoy supporting the full-time elders/sisters with their needs. And it's an easy one to work around a tight schedule such as Ben's. Since our church doesn't have a paid clergy, the members are relied upon to take leadership and teaching positions in various auxialliaries which is a calling. So far, I have also taught primary (11 year old boys, what a challenge), Young Women and been a cub scout den mother. The last two were probably my favorite. But It'll be a great way to meet people that's for sure. It's still weird for me to actually leave immediately after church and not chit chat in the hall, although Ben is glad for that.



Avery- Has made great strides in being helpful around the house. She learned how to clean her room and she can perform her bedtime routine (potty, brush, pj's, read book) with minimal supervision and is often the one who gets the process started. She has also accomplished a basic 8 foot swim to the wall and is determined to really learn now that grandpa Mark has promised her a bike when she can officially be called a swimmer. A pink one.

She has become rather concerned lately about her intake of food and drink. When I offer her water, milk, etc. she says "oh but it'll make me pee" and likewise food, will make her do you know what. Her other concern and one that made her all but stop eating one day was the fear that if she kept eating she "would become a giant" and she wants to "maybe become as big as mom and dad, but not as big as a giant". I guess this is all of our encouragement to eat so she'll grow "big and strong" backfiring.



Miles- Still our love bug (or "Herbie" as Ben calls him) but he is getting feisty and I am seeing what having a little boy entails. We don't have many boy toys but we do have some generic unisex baby things of which he instinctually prefers the cars, trucks and mechanical type things. He will bring me balls to play "catch" (or roll, depending on the ball) and he has started to climb on anything and everything. Today he climbed up an entire slide at the park. Maybe he really is a Gecko! But I'm glad that he and Avery can already play with each other. Although today I got to experience the "Mommmm, Miles is touching me" whine from the back seat for the first time.

I've also determined that Ben must pay Miles to keep me on task and on my feet all day. If I even sit down for a second he is there to get me up again. He always wants to see what I am cooking and is generally on my hip all day long. That is until Ben gets home. Then he must be off duty because he goes off and plays by himself.

Miles may also be in the running for a bike as he is a darn good swimmer himself. He kicks his little legs hard on command and can hold on to the side and try to pull himself up. I have let him "swim" by himself under water which he doesn't mind but I don't think the lifeguards like that very much. It's just like being back in the womb!

Also, Miles has chosen what his second word will be recorded in the books as. And that word is....Kit. Great. He also popped a second tooth.


Brittany - She's back in the blog. I know that I have had my brush with celebrity this month with the Dog but alas Britt has outdone me again seeing not one but two major stars. And I mean major. Firstly, while casually browsing in the menswear dept. at Fashion Island, Britt's gal pal says "oh, that guy is really big, he must be an NBA player" Britt glances up and is looking directly into the eyes of none other than the Black Mamba* (or the link that I prefer - Black Mamba, I particularly enjoy the part about her strength level) himself. What does one do when your eyes lock with number 24, perhaps the greatest to ever play the game? You quickly look away. Even though you are close enough to touch him. Or smile and say hello. Or get the sales associate to take your picture with him because your brother-in-law would really appreciate a text of you with his favorite athlete. Or look away.

He bought underwear.

The other encounter, that probably would have been more exciting had one not seen Kobe the week before, was our favorite British transplant. Yes, Victoria Beckham was enjoying some quietude at the same posh (hee hee) Santa Barbara getaway that Britt and Sam were at to celebrate his bday. Happy Belated.

August Stock Picks

COST (Costco) Up 60.12 to 61.75 +1.63

HON (Honeywell) Down 57.15 to 56.15 +1.00

ERTS (Electronic Arts) Up 48.10 to 52.94 +4.84

*Disclaimer - Black Mamba is NOT a name that I or anyone I associate with, gave to Kobe Bryant. Even though it turns out to be female comic book character, he gave it to himself. I think he was going more for the deadliest snake in the world connotation but maybe he should have done a little more research on that one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I live in OC and I have not yet seen any famous people! Dave would have died to see Kobe! Guess we need to hang out in more fabulous places!

sara said...

that was so funny. i needed a good laugh. thanks.