Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

And they all rolled over and one fell out...

Usually I sleep well. So well that I don't hear Ben's alarm go off. And, because we let our kids sleep in our bed when they are little I don't have to get up (or wake up even) for feedings so it's great. We've never even owned a crib. The baby is put to sleep in a pack n play bassinet next to our bed until they wake up and come into bed with us. Or sometimes they just start the night off sleeping on Ben. This works for us because Ben, having shared a queen sized bed his entire life (except on his mission we hope) with at least one, and probably up to four people, doesn't move an inch when he sleeps. And I have the motherly instinct/GPS that allows me to know where my kids are positioned at all times so I don't roll on them.

Our pediatrician had said that this was fine and when I asked if it would be hard to get Avery out of our bed because we had allowed this all her life he said, when she turns one she will probably want her own space. And magically, she did. At that point we were on the road with Ben's rotations for 9 months so she transitioned into a jr. Aero bed and then to her big girl bunk bed when we were "stable" again. Fine. So, after this rather long, pointless explanation of our sleeping habits comes the story. Back to Usually I sleep well... So, last night when everyone is in their correct location I hear a whisper at our door. It's Avery (obviously, because Miles doesn't talk, much less whisper) "Mom" I pretend not to hear her. "Mom" "Mom, can I sleep in your bed?" as she's making the ascent no matter what my answer is. I don't mind. She always gives me a nice squeeze and an "I love you mom" to ensure I won't send her back to her room. Fine. She doesn't take up much room and Ben is staying in his allotted 18 inches. Back to sleep until Miles feels lonely in his "crib" and wants to snuggle too. He comes over, falls back asleep and the kids start doing gymnastics in their sleep. Miles wants to sleep like the picture in the book. Avery, trying to avoid him, makes her way to the bottom of the bed and I realize that there is not room for 5 pillows and 4 humans on our queen. I realize that there is a book I want to read anyway. I take my reading light, a pillow and our duvet and make a nice little bed on the floor and before long I realize how nice it is to be all alone. And there I sleep.

Some might say it's time for the kids to stay in their own beds. I just think it 's time for a bigger bed.

P.S. - Of course Avery decides, after weeks of no accidents in her own bed, which has a waterproof mattress cover, to wet our bed the next morning. Luckily everyone else was up but does anyone know how to clean memory foam?


9 comments:

alise said...

Was I just reading my blog entry? Hunter and Connor slept in our beds the exact same way when they were younger. Every now and then Connor still crawls into bed with us, and has wet our memory foam bed before--such a pain. I just soak the spot with hot (not too hot) water and soap (mild laundry)and try to soak everything up with towels. Then I let it air dry, and top it all off with febreeze (love that stuff). It usually does the job. BTW. I used to get grief for the bed sharing thing from my non-believing friends--but, I really do think there is some correlation between bed sharing (and in general, the Dr. Sears philosophy) and I.Q. :)

TOVAR said...

Loved the picture. I can only imagine four in a queen. I feel squished with two. I say go for a California King so with gymnastics and all, everyone will have enough space. As for the peeters in the memory foam, go buy some of that stuff they make for pets who peeters everywhere. It breaks up the enzymes and something else. Then buy a mattress cover for your bed too.

April said...

Lynn, you know where we stand with this, and I must say just last night, sending Baby Paul packing back to his bed amidst the crying makes me weak. But 3.5 years of being in Mom & Dad's bed was enough especially now compounded by the Houston heat and humidity, it simply cannot be! BTW, Tim is in his crib...for most of the night anyhow! :)

sara said...

this material is good, really you. you need to use it to write the book that you've always wanted to. it could be called "tales from the blog".

jen said...

This is great! Love the picture, I bet Ben does too! Alyssa's still in bed with us (well me) and we recently made the switch to CAl King a few months ago. It's awesome! you should too!

Anonymous said...

Do not listen to Jen. She is absolutely wrong and does not know anything. Regular king is better as it is longer and proportioned more like a square. Regular king is totally bananas.

alise said...

A king bed will yield a lower I.Q. score ;)

alise said...

just look at the result of years and years of sleeping in the equivalent space of 18"--4 doctors of some sort. Get a twin, or half a twin bed.

alise said...

then there's mckay, who has slept in his own queen bed his entire life . . . has slept through his assessment exams, starts college tomorrow, and still hasn't registered for any classes.

blah blah blah, go to bed and quit commenting on my blog