Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

How Great Thou Art

I joined the choir today. I'm not a singer as many of you well know (unless you count lip synching...which I am excellent at..."Mack the Knife" anyone?) but I've always wanted to become a better singer and thought that church choir would be the place to start. No tryouts, no solos, sometimes not even the greatest singers so no pressure. I've always had an excuse not to however, but a few things about this wards choir made me take the plunge.


1. Chocolate. The choir director brings chocolate to all practices for participants. I'm talking full-sized candy bars, not keep-you-awake-in-relief-society hershey kisses.

2. They sing in Hawaiian. Cool huh?

3. Their next performance is "How Great Thou Art" (He Nani No). A classic beloved by all Christian demoninations and one that is not too incredibly difficult to sing even with zero vocal talent. It also reminds me of my great-grandmother Fern, who taught piano for 75 years (!), and I can visualize her powerfully robust (yet graceful) hands spanning chords, foot pumping and humming (never singing that I can remember, maybe an intermittent la ti da da or something) many great hymns, including this one.


The chorister said she was glad to see a little "color" in the group..referring to me and another "haole" friend who just moved in. I said "you mean, lack of?" Anyhow, the men in the choir are particularly incredible to listen to. Should be an enjoyable learning experience.


Great Gma Fern & Gpa Lewis
(or is it Ben & I in 40 years?)

3 comments:

sara said...

you are brave to join the choir, but you really can't pass up free candy. i love your grandma! she is so cute.

alise said...

sweet. I love that they sing in Hawaiian. Hymns, no matter how beautiful, feel a little worn after singing them over and over again in English. Every now and then I try to sing a hymn in what little French I can remember.

alise said...

Remembered this later--The BEST hymn I have ever heard was sung by a traveling Polynesian youth group. They sang "A Child's Prayer" and it was amazing! Polynesians have a really unique and special spirituality about them--I noticed something similar with the Polynesians in the North Torrance Stake where I often attended dances and conferences with my cousin. You're REALLY lucky to be there! :)