Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The First Guests

Ben's brother Brady & his wife Theresa were the first visitors we have had in Hawaii. They were actually one of the last visitors we had in Maryland, a mere 4,900 miles away, a six hour flight in either direction from California. Joining them a few days later were Andy and Yolanda, who came via Austin. I, of course, love having company, especially those as easy to please as these. They rented a van so we could travel around the island together and here is a photojournal of some of our expeditions:





Of course every trip has it's highs and lows. A few of the highs include: Ben taking a few days off, Ben, Brady & Andy seeing a smallish (4 ft) shark while snorkeling, Brady retrieving and opening fresh coconuts off of our tree in the backyard, the Polynesian Cultural Center, the new green tea flavor shave ice (with vanilla ice cream in the bottom) at Aoki's (good choice Theresa), Yolanda & Theresa taking turns holding Miles so I could actually cook an entire meal using both hands, seeing Hawaii through vacationers eyes.

There were few low points including a minor kayaking accident which was taken in stride but the major one was thankfully mitigated by the in-house doctor...and I actually mean Ben this time. Brady woke up one morning with the inability to blink his right eye (he had to manually close it periodically so that it wouldn't dry out!)and general paralysis of his facial muscles on that side as well. Of course it was an easy diagnosis of Bell's Palsy (and a touch of Tourettes), but I don't have any herbal salves for that, so Ben M.D. had to step in and save his brothers life. A quick prescription actually did stop the progression and Theresa was relieved to find out that it wouldn't be permanent. I'm sure it was scary to Brady although we did manage to find the humor in his discomfort:

WARNING: Rated PG13 for Language, Frightening Images


6 comments:

alise said...

incredible! Can't wait to visit you guys. I didn't even recognize Andy or Yolanda--then again, it's not like I've spent a lot of time with either of them.

Terese said...

Great pictures. I love seeing you in that one of youe and Miles. I think Hawaii looks like a great fit for you. It is so beautiful, dang!I can definitely tell that one guy is Ben's brother. So fun to have visitors.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, sounds like so much fun. We will make it out there eventually! I can't believe you live in such a beautiful place! Lucky you!

Unknown said...

SO SO funny! Also SO SO glad it didn't happen to me!

Melanie said...

That video is too funny!!! Brady looked a lot like Kit, not because of the bells palsy might i add!! Looks like Hawaii is fun!

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

That was such a fun post for me!!! I got relive our awesome trip!!!:)) and be reminded of brady's belspalsy face:(( yes....so relieved it wasn't permanent