Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

No-Knead Pizza Dough - Bon Appetit





I love this picture from this month's Bon Appetit magazine. And I love this recipe equally as much. It really is so easy and after having many failed homemade pizzas I think it is safe to say that my search for crust perfection is over.

The basics of the recipe are below (this seriously takes two minutes, you just have to remember to make it the night before). The details on how to shape the dough (never roll it!) can be found HERE.

---

Ingredients

  • 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1000 grams) plus more for shaping dough
  • 4 teaspoons fine sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

Preparation

  • Whisk flour, salt, and yeast in a medium bowl. While stirring with a wooden spoon, gradually add 3 cups water; stir until well incorporated. Mix dough gently with your hands to bring it together and form into a rough ball. Transfer to a large clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature in a draft-free area until surface is covered with tiny bubbles and dough has more than doubled in size, about 18 hours.
    ---

    For our pizza's I blended a quick sauce from diced canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and sugar to season. I had forgotten to drain the tomatoes so I reduced it in a pan. For toppings I used: fresh mozzarella (which the kids did not like), shredded gouda, basil, pancetta and red onions. But of course, there are a million variations.

  • Here is Miles' version which looks fittingly like an owl with pepperoni eyes.


  • Note : The secret to this is having a really really hot oven (550 F), and if you have a pizza stone, preheating it in the oven as well. It only takes 5-7 minutes to cook!

1 comment:

JMK said...

I've been wanting to make my own dough AND sauce so.... Thank you!!

We are making "homemade" pizza's tonight w/ the help of Boboli and HEB