Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hot Chocolates.

It's a little late to have these chocolate treats for Valentines Day but I thought I'd better get these recipes out there while there is still a little bit of chill in the air. Not that there is ever a bad time to indulge. So here are a couple recent finds that are easy and delicious.

First is Coconut Tres Leche Hot Chocolate. This came from Better Homes and Gardens. I'm pretty sure the original recipe I have calls for an entire can of sweetened condensed milk but I'm glad to see that they made it only 1/2 can because I was going to make the suggestion that it was too sweet. Perhaps I read the recipe wrong b/c I have also never put vanilla in it but the online version also makes that change. I doubt it adds much to it.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 14-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 of a 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk (2/3-cup)
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chocolate shavings (optional)

Directions

1. In medium saucepan combine fat-free milk, coconut milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk in cocoa powder until well-combined.

2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve in mugs topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Makes 5 (1-cup) servings.

This next one I made for Valentines Day. Apparently this has been waiting to be tried since I ripped it out of a Bon Appetit in 2003! I'm sure I add to my recipe folder faster than I work through it so I'd better get crackin in case there are more great finds like this in there (I've had more losers than keepers lately so it's actually really nice to find one worthy of sharing).

The only change I made to this and I would do it again was to add an extra egg - it is bread pudding after all! This is so easy so hopefully you have some extra french bread laying around! And of course some ice cream along side doesn't hurt either.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

  • 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 large egg (consider adding another but let me know if one suffices)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces French bread with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring cream, 1/2 cup sugar, and milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and whisk until melted and smooth. Whisk egg and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot chocolate mixture. Cool chocolate custard 10 minutes, stirring often.

Add bread cubes and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips to custard and toss to coat. Transfer to 1 1/2-quart-capacity shallow oval baking dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over mixture. Bake until custard thickens and center is just set, about 50 minutes. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Pattersons said...

both recipes sound scrumptious! and i can't wait to try them...on my free day of course:)

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

sounds so amazing... i'll for sure need to try those! been feel like i need some comfort food lately!