Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

September Recap

Ben - Did not start selling fruits yet, instead continues the daily grind. Gave up tanning, more on that later. Went to Weezer concert, more on that later. Football season started so we don't talk much anymore. Denver Bronco's: remarkably 4-0.


Miles - Had the flu. I hope it was the swine flu so that we can have been there and done that but who knows. He has made a full recovery. He also recovered from a dreaded grey (gray? I can never figure out which way to spell it) tooth which was the result of falling face first from a bar stool. It appeared a few days later so I didn't make the connection until I did some research. Thankfully it wasn't rotting and we didn't need to go to the dentist. My best hope was that it would eventually turn yellow until it fell out one day (worst case - it would be capped with silver and we'd have to move to Mississippi to blend in) but it came back white after about a month.



Taking precautions.
Just kidding. We don't make him wear a mask.
He was pretending to be Avery's patient but he was really sick.

Avery - See school update (in progress). She also started Awana's again and is a Sparky. She has already learned John 3:16 (which Ben says qualifies her to attend pro sporting events now, or at least make signs for them). In other religious/memorization news, apparently the primary kids are also learning 'How Firm a Foundation' at church as well because she was singing along with that today. I'm so glad that a village is raising my children.

Me - While other people have been teaching and nurturing my children, I have been gardening, landscaping (I use that term loosely) and still setting up house. Mostly I could been found wandering around outside looking for projects and soaking up the last of the northwest's sun for the year. One project on the list was getting a compost heap started. Because building our own would have required moving a sprinkler head I found a good, cost-effective option at Lowe's and Ben put it together for me. Thank you and check that off the list.

In addition to stocking up on vitamin D I have been trying to get serious about our emergency storage which primarily includes filling up Mylar bags with water. More on that later. I also finally got a calling in our new ward. Drumroll please....Activities Commitee Member. Don't be jealous. We work really really hard four times a year. I guess having a husband with 50% church attendance has it's perks.

I keep forgetting to provide an update on our lawnmower purchase. To date we have owned two electric battery powered models. First we tried the cheapest option from Home Depot. It worked okay, but not well enough for long term use so we took it back and upgraded to a heftier version that was on sale but still a lot for a mower. I liked it and enjoyed using it, even if it did cut a bit unevenly. Unfortunately, since I solicited opinions and got a few from the male/eco-terrorist population Ben couldn't shake it and had to get a emission spewing model. It's loud, it stinks but at least it cuts the grass evenly and quickly. I refuse to use it. But at least he uses the mulching function. And our lawn is the greenest in the neighborhood because of it. Or maybe it's because its the newest grass in the neighborhood.

This month we also had Ben's brother Nate and his college roommate Jeff and family come visit (and family includes a gorgeous wife and two identical, adorable little girls). Yea for having visitors. It gives purpose to my life :)

5 comments:

Pattersons said...

from mason:because your yard is so big with so much grass, your grass eats more CO2 than your lawn mower spits out. so you're carbon neutral. what happens to people who move to the north? :)

TOVAR said...

One can dream about being hosted by you. As for husbandless sunday's getting you easy church callings. . .it just depends. In our ward, it is quite the opposite. I can't wait to hear what awesome activities you come up with.

JMK said...

Hey if any of mine get swine flu I think I will use a mask! Thanks for the idea.

sara said...

i'm holding out on getting a tv for as long as possible, but it's only a matter of time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. Dave wants to come visit... he mentions it very often actually!