Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Build-a-House-Workout


(I do realize that my frecklage is more impressive than my biceps)

Despite the house taking up most of my discretionary time and energy (in other words - I don't have it in me to do a proper workout) I have found myself in surprisingly good shape. Probably in better shape than I am in when I am consistently exercising. All of that drilling, grouting, shoveling, lifting and sweeping has resulted in some serious strength. Luckily landscaping and gardening has similar benefits so my workout is not over just yet. But after that is complete I am going to have to find some other kind of manual labor to do. Otherwise I will just fall back into a irregular routine of pilates, zumba, spinning etc. that just may not be enough*. It kind of reminds me of polygamous women who have all those children but stay remarkably trim. It's because they work all day - between baking bread, gardening, tending children etc**- I doubt they do much lounging or tv watching. They are constantly moving. Not to mention the simplicity and purity of the food they might eat. Unfortunately that is the downfall of my build-a-house-workout. The build-a-house-diet is incredibly poor and usually involves driving through to pick up cheap and fast food at 11pm.


* These classes are really more for fun and getting out of the house than for actual results. I have a "work out like a dude" philosophy for when I am really trying to have results - this would include P90X, pushups, pullups etc. - minumum time maximum effort but it's something that comes in spurts and that I don't keep up over long periods of time even though I probably should.
** I honestly don't know what they do all day but I am just guessing.

4 comments:

JMK said...

Maybe I need to build a house!! Ha ha. I think I'll stick to running, gets me out of house for an escape :)

Erika said...

I do the P90X occasionally (i do the 10 minute workouts b/c I have no discipline to do the full workout by myself), but I found a boot camp class that gets me out of the house...at 5:30 in the morning, but out of the house nonetheless...Zumbas's fun!! I do that once a week too!

sara said...

when are the benefits of carrying around a 20lb. baby going to pay off? that's gotta count for something.

Sarah said...

I love Zumba too - I try to go at least once a week to that too. Who would've thought you'd get muscles when someone else is building your house. you go girl.