Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Some dates don't have to be marked on a calendar for you to know they are coming. Some you just feel coming. Yesterday was one of those days. Yesterday was 10 years without my littlest sister.

She would be 26 going on 27. She would be a nice person. She'd live near a beach. She would be a cool aunt. She'd still be fast. Other than that I don't know what she would have become by now. She might have gone to culinary school. She probably would have gone to college on a running scholarship. But to me she'll always be sixteen, the last to leave the nest.

Luckily, the memories haven't grown dimmer. I just realize that, while close, the age gap and self-involvement was enough for me not to have had as many memories as one might like. Some of you have memories I don't have, because you were classmates or friends or had a different familial relationship.

The memories I wish I didn't have lie in a box. It's round and has clouds on it. Inside are newspaper articles, an audio tape of the memorial service, a few pictures, a couple letters Ben wrote to her while on his mission, stickers, artwork, a cd, her chapstick. I don't look through it often. Maybe two times in the decade that has passed.

Time doesn't really heal all wounds, it just changes your perspective of the pain. While sad to lose a sister, I think now how exponentially harder it must be to lose a child. This perspective doesn't feel like healing to me. Losing someone close is also a devestating reminder of our own mortality, and thus I live life a little more guarded, if not fearful of sudden tragedy. This might be normal as one matures and grows more aware of the bitterness in the world - but for me will always be tied to a day ten years ago.

20 comments:

Sarah said...

Sweet post, Lynn. I'm sorry for your loss. And I agree with you about healing. Some wounds will always hurt. It's up to us to find happiness and peace despite the pain, which you do very well.

TOVAR said...

Thanks for sharing something so personal. I can't begin to fathom the loss of a sibling and like you said, the loss of a child. I am sure she would have been at least as amazing as you and it would have been wonderful to have her around. Easter must be that much more hope filled for you and your family. I loved that you still have her chapstick. I bet she gets a kick out of that too.

The McKinstry Family said...

That was a great tribute to your sister. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a sibling or a child. I love the pictures that you posted about her.

amy Woolace said...

Here's to Callie!

I too reflected yesterday, and mentioned it to Adam (again). I think of her often and the times she made me laugh. More specifically I remember going to the soma show in San Diego, and getting the explorer stuck in the wash in Beaumont on Halloween in '96.
I am grateful.
Sending you all big huge hugs!!!

amy Woolace said...

Here's to thinking about and remembering Josh Palmer today.

Kimi said...

I will never forget that night your dad called the room and not being able to find you. Remembering that day makes me cry - right here in my office at lunch. That was a lovely post about Callie - even though the lightbulb in her room eventually burnt out - her light never will :)

Breeana said...

This is such a sweet tribute to your sister. She sounds lovely. Wish I could hug you right now, but my arms don't reach. Here's an e-hug from me to you.

JMK said...

Lynn, I pray for you and your family as you remember. My heart aches at the thought of losing a close family member. I'm sure you think of all the happiness she is experiencing in heaven and how she watches over you, Ben, the kids and your family. Thanks for sharing this touching entry.

Erika said...

I don't think i could have written a more eloquent tribute to a loved one. I love that you are keeping her memory alive through this blog and that we are able to share in your thoughts.

Ashley Locke said...

We have those newspaper articles too. Grandma mailed them to us. I am so sorry, of course. I also have the memorial service on tape and I have a tape with the music from it as well. We all loved her and I was always jealous of her hair!!

alise said...

I love you, Lynn.

Tarah said...

I kept meaning to write to you that day, as Callie has been in my thoughts for the last couple of weeks leading up to 10 years. Already? It doesn't seem possible. I have somewhere photos of a trip we took to the beach...I will send them to you when I locate them. Funny that it was a day when the little sister tagged along, yet none of us minded. I guess that was just part of what made Callie so beautiful.

Amazing Grace said...

People say it gets easier and time goes by, I don't think so. I'm sorry for your loss Lynn. I bet she was a great sis. I celebrated my little brother's 28th b-day yesterday without him. I miss him so much, still. I know how you feel.
Hugs,
Grace

heidi said...

That made me cry, what a sweet sister. I think we're lucky in life if we get to experience that special bond that sisters share. It truly is a love that never dies... XOXO

Erick & Norma said...

Tears were in my eyes as I read this, what a beautiful tribute to your sister. Here's me sending you a big cyber hug [ ]...

Christine said...

I always think of Callie on April 6th and try to do something kind on that day for someone, to honor her.

bethy said...

That was a lovely post. What a sweet gal Callie was.

I often think about her and your family because we have three little girls too. I hope they can grow to be as friendly, kind and smart as you guys.

Dillon Baird said...

I always think of Callie and your family on that day. Even though I never knew her, I'm glad that I've at least been able to get to know you. You're an awesome, helpful, smart, and very supportive sister in law:) and because you're so cool, I know your sister must have been just as Awesome:)

Dillon Baird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dillon Baird said...

woops, I'm on Dillon's computer and he must be signed in- this is theresa: