Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Choosing Paint.



A quick word to the paint companies:

"Garlic Clove" vs. "Cookie Crumb"? "Mayonnaise" vs. "Cream Pie"? The list could go on.

Why would you even put these names next to each other on a paint swatch? You think I am not swayed by the names you give your paint? I love garlic, but the thought of that being the color of my walls? Just thinking about it makes my house smell.

Name influence case in point - the colors I chose the first go round for my house: "Beach Glass", "Seashell", "Idyllic Isle", "Babbling Brook"... The only one that worked out in real life was "Idyllic Isle" and the jury is still out on the tastefulness of this choice. But you can see what images I am swayed by.

And another thing - the configuration of the paint chips. I admit, I am a sucker for Ralph Lauren and their perfect squares and silvery font - not to mention enchanting names - perfection! But Martha Stewart - for all the things she does right - paint swatches is not one of them. The problem being that each main color has complimentary color suggestions on the swatch. A feature, while helpful to some, I find utterly distracting.


With drywall up in the new house it quickly became time to make some decisions. So about $100 in samples and three days of checking said samples in differing light later - we have the winners.

Inspired by nature (like these rocks behind our house)...



Our main body color, can be found in the great room (kitchen/dining/living), entry, halls and utility room....drum roll please... "Overcast" by Benjamin Moore. As quoted by a designer in House Beautiful - "I think of this as celadon or blanc de Chine. It's the color of water in a bathtub, of the pale early morning sky. When you look at it on a chip it's not very exciting, but once it's up on the walls it reflects itself and becomes richer."

It's the color of masking tape.


Next up, master bedroom and kids bath. Afternoon Shade by FreshAire. The color can be seen on a wall here.

Master Bath: "Sneak Peek". Looks like a slightly greener version of Afternoon Shade.



Guest Bedroom/Office: "Beguile" by Valspar. Ben picked this one to which I replied "what color is that?" with a disgusted look on my face. Descriptor - bluish greenish gray. But guess what? I love it. It's one of my favorite colors we chose.


Lastly, the kids bedrooms. "Idyllic Isle" by Pittsburgh Paint and "Reflection" by Devine Paint. The kids bedroom are mirror images connected in the middle by a double pocket door. Which for now will be sleeping side (bunk beds) (Reflection) and playroom side (Idyllic Isle). Eventually this could end up being separate living spaces for them but for now we like the idea of one giant room.



9 comments:

Tarah said...

I have always wanted a job as a color namer. We have Garden Wall and Sandstone Cove in our house...

sara said...

it sounds good on paper, i can't wait to see it in real life.

jen said...

Choosing paint color is always scaring, but looks like you're a master. They all sound beautiful...it's funny how the names make a big difference.

Tami said...

My fav is Beguile. Good choices. I always love picking out new paint.

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

I love it!! I think you made the correct choices! Luckily our new house was already painted. I can't believe how much of your house is finished!!! I have been missing out on way too much!! Are you so excited??!! I hope we will get to come and see it when it is all finished which it doesn't look like it's too far away!

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

Hey!! my invite to see the house pics has expired:( Can I be reinvited??

Erika said...

In our old house our Benjamin Moore paint was Philadelphia Cream and Greenhouse something.....more line pale yellow and beige....I agree, the names drove me up the wall (literally)!

Tami said...

Thursday was free night, meaning free to eat what you want. The kids always have cereal. I'm sure they wouldn't have minded it again, but we had fajitas instead. Quick and easy, can't complain.

TOVAR said...

Oh painting. Those colors are fantastic. I wonder what the criteria is for working as a paint labeler?