Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Welcome 2009

We made it to CA and back. I had every intention of catching up on my holiday happenings and blogging while on vacation but all I have to show for it is a handful of half written entries, just waiting to be backdated and posted as I am known to do. Annoying I know. But who wants to read about things that happened in December with a date of mid-January on it? So if you want to know more about our Christmas, new haircuts and anything else that happened in the last few weeks I'll try to catch up over the next few days. All I ask is that you take a moment to scroll down past entries you've already seen to get to them.

So 2009 huh? When your spouse has a employment contract/obligation that goes to 2020, 2009 doesn't seem all that futuristic. But then, when your spouse has an employment contract that goes till 2020 one should be grateful for the job security. So I'll start off the year in that frame of mind.

I don't usually "do" New Year's resolutions. I do make character adjustments and lifestyle changes through-out the year as I recognize problems but I prefer for things to happen organically rather than force January 1st on them. I'm more likely to stick with them that way.

Of course there are a lot of things I could resolve to change immediately:

not biting my nails, allowing myself more time to get places so I get there on time, going to bed earlier, keeping up with the laundry, not backposting blog entries ... to name a few

I'm not a fan of deprivation without a really really good reason so I'm not big on giving things up, yet I wholeheartedly welcome self-inflicted pain and stress if it makes me a better person. I do live by personally philosophies that rotate periodically. I've been stuck on "live slow" as a favorite for a while now - just ask Ben. If only he could embrace the same credo he could see the beauty of it. And, if he could choose a resolution for me I'm sure it would be to keep my cell phone with me. Actually that's a great idea! Not to keep my phone with me..but to have someone else make your resolution for you. I think next year we might have to try that.

Well, I guess it's time to officially say farewell to 2008 and usher in 2009. I should probably start by taking down the Christmas tree, still ornamented with brittle yet still fragrant needles. The wreath should come off the door, the nativity put in it's box and while I'm at it I think I'll finally toss out the pumpkins from Halloween...

10 comments:

Sarah said...

You're so funny. If anyone has an issue with backdating blog posts, tell them to set up google reader. I see a post as if it's new no matter what the date says.

We drove by your house the other day on our way home from church--Aubrey requested the detour after seeing another house under construction. Your new home is looking good! (Haven't checked that blog in a while--private blogs can't be added to reader, shucks.)

Glad you're back and all is well!

Melanie said...

Hi Lynn. this is Melanie (Smith) Bascom from Redlands. I meant to 'come forward' a few months back when you started your private blog. I will admit to being a blog lurker, especially to your blog! Your posts are quite entertaining! I hope its OK that I look at your blog! By the way I served a mission in Seattle and surrounding areas in WA and so I understand your joys and woes of that great state!

Ashley Locke said...

Hey! I'm SO glad you're back! I missed your blogs! When are you and the kids going to roadtrip it down here and visit us!?!?

Amazing Grace said...

hey !! Thanks... and Happy Birthday to my litle Avery too.
they grow up so fast!! looks like your project is coming along very productively. lookin good ! I hope we can see each other again one day soon!

Erick & Norma said...

We're so bummed we missed you guys when you were in So Cal, maybe next time...or, Erick and I will just have to plan a trip to visit you in WA :-)

Heidi said...

You're so funny, actually the only reason I got on the scooter was because you & Jen did!!! You guys are my examples...oh well we all lived. But I did have to tell Danny to chill out, he was in race mode the moment we got on. Had to remind him that I am caring his son!

ZooMom said...

Ha ha - I just tossed the last Halloween pumpkin this week. Oh, and the wreath is still up.

I'm floored by how fast your house is moving along!!

Pattersons said...

happy 2009 lynn! it was good to see you guys in dec. can't wait to see you again. for sure, in hawaii when you move back:)

Tarah said...

I wouldn't recognize you if you stopped biting your nails. Its like your trademark.

jen said...

yay, welcome back! i found some pics of you at your reunion, i'll have to send them to you. you looked so cute pregnant and all. it was fun being pregnant with you especially on the Mexico trip!