Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day - Now where can I collect my paycheck?

'Salary' for stay-at-home moms nearly $117,000

May 11, 2008
Los Angeles Times

Compensation study pegs moms' pay at $117,000.

If a stay-at-home mom could be compensated in dollars rather than personal satisfaction and unconditional love, she'd rake in nearly $117,000 a year.That's according to a study by Salary.com, a Waltham, Mass.-based firm that studies workplace compensation. The eighth annual survey calculated a mom's market value by studying pay levels for 10 job titles with duties performed by typical mothers, including housekeeper, teacher, psychologist and chief executive. This year, the annual salary for a stay-at-home mom would be $116,805, and a mom who juggles an outside job would get $68,405 for her motherly duties. The biggest driver of a mother's theoretical salary is the overtime pay she would receive. The 18,000 mothers surveyed about their typical week reported working 94.4 hours -- meaning they'd be spending more than half their working hours on overtime. Mothers who work outside the home reported an average 54.6-hour "mom workweek" besides the hours they spent at paying jobs.


What I want to know is why our pay went down from previous years (same company, same study) 2006- $134,121, 2007 - $138,095!

4 comments:

sara said...

i want a raise!

TOVAR said...

I think that the decrease can be attributed to the increased time spent on the internet blogging. At least you could claim any blogging of your kids as a tax deduction as a side business of Avery's modeling. I just am the mom who likes to see what others are doing multiple times a week (sometimes a day) with my blogging addiction. Thanks for the enjoyable feed.

ZooMom said...

I think they should give moms COLA for each additional child. And I want to know when I can take my paid vacation, sick, and personal days.

April said...

Yay for you on the 5k! I'm sure the Ironman is in your future and we'll cheer you on!