Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What is this...China?!

It's either that or WW3. At first we were feeling a little sad not to be celebrating the holidays as usual with family. But the spectacle we beheld last night made us wish it was loved ones who were here. One of the perks of living on a lush, tropical island, surrounded by a large body of water (that's what makes it an island, I know) means that anyone and everyone can explode fireworks as they please. The streets were filled with various on ground displays...and dangling from ladders and light posts (and dangerously near power lines) for that matter. The arsenal that nearly each house had in their garage/carport was amazing. You could barely drive the streets, or see for the smoke. But the craziest thing was that folks were shooting aerial fireworks from their front and backyards. You never knew when one would explode above your head. Officially and legally, the festivities of fire weren't to begin till 9pm but most started unleashing their booty (that's pirate speak booty - and no double entendre like on a certain t-shirt I heard was gifted among the family) around 6pm. And some even started the day before. A permit allows you to buy up to 5,000 firecrackers! It looked, sounded and smelled like a war zone (except thankfully, as Nate pointed out to Ben, no one died...although that's still to be determined). Here's some footage of the melee. Enjoy it cause I fell off a 5 foot brick wall for these shots (again, like all of my video footage, not for those with a weak stomach)





my neighbor said this year was mild. Here is some of the aftermath.



6 comments:

alise said...

Happy New Year!!

Doug and Merrill said...

Oops! We forgot to inform you! I have yet to witness the spectacle and the smoke. Did you enjoy it?

Michael and Rachel said...

I know we have only met on like, one random occassion...:) none the less, I am Amber's sister (one of the ones that lived in Hawaii.) Anyway, I just happened to read your post on the wonderful new year's festivities and I remember them well. One year we went to a ward member's house to actually be involved in the fun and the firecrackers seemed to go on for an eternity! It had to have been like 4 full minutes. Then, when we were driving home, the roads were completely COVERED in smoke! It stayed for about a day...or so it seemed.
Its so crazy that New Year's can be bigger on fireworks than the 4th of July!
To make a long comment short, we have this in common and I enjoyed your post. :)
(ps. Good job at getting the specticle on video! That is one thing I regrettably did not do.)

sara said...

what ever it takes to get the shot is necessary. that was really fun to watch. see you soon.

Unknown said...

Crazy. My favorite thing to do on New Years eve is sit at home in front of the Tv. I am so boring.

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

How Awesome is that!!! You did good explaining the firecrackers on your blog but after seeing the video, I could see you weren't kidding!:) How fun!!!! I hope you guys had a good vacation!! We'll see ya soon!!