Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Quilters Beware

I joined the ward quilting group. Add that to the book club, choir and nutrition class and you can see that I am either a) desperate for socialization b) uncomfortable with being under-scheduled or c) eager to learn something new. The answer is, of course, d) all of the above, but why quilting!? I saw one of their projects and it was actually pretty neat. It all comes down to fabric choice and Chelsey has introduced me to some designers like Amy Butler among others through her hip projects so I might actually make something I like. Anyhow, I need to learn how to make something besides pajama pants with the sewing machine anyway.

So tonight I went to the crafting store to browse their poor selection of fabric for my first project with the group - a friendship quilt - where each person does 9 copies of their square and then we trade. I'm not in love with this project but you have to start somewhere and if they are willing to let me learn then so be it.

While painstakingly trying to find THE fabric to go with the fall-theme, I saw this sign advertising a particular group of fabrics. I so wish I had my camera (I would have sent it to Jay Leno), but I wrote it down word for word:
Festive Knit - 60" Great for Hoochie Mamma Dress $3.99/YD
-
You know I got me some of that! But, at an arts and crafts store. Really?

Also while at the store, I couldn't help but skim a few quilting books so I could drop some cool quilters terminology on them tomorrow. I'm a bit like Peanut that way. Example - I was checking out the fat quarters at the store and I thought that maybe some of the fabrics in your jelly roll would make awesome prairie points. And by the way, does your machine do trapunto?




5 comments:

sara said...

i love doing the trapunto!

Tami said...

I'm glad you're quilting. It's all about fabric choice, and you'll be great at that. Joseph just said he wishes that Avery would marry Porter because then we'd be in-laws somehow. I think that would be pretty cool too.

Erick & Norma said...

Hoochi Mama dress hah?! That is hilarious, I would've bought it too! I just started on a quilt project myself, I'm gonna try it out and see how I like it. We'll see how it goes :] Good luck with yours!

kelly said...

i can't wait to see your projects. be careful though, buying fabric can get addicting!

Anonymous said...

Let's see... what was that sticker my mom had on her sewing machine - oh yah - whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

Do you not have a camera phone? Idle situation for one - you've got to go back to that store and take one - that is absolutely hysterical!!! Hoochi Mama dress - obviously some employee thinks they are oh so clever :)

Miss ya girl:)