Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

October Recap

Ben - Doing the ICU thing this month, a joyful joyful place to be I'm sure. Most of the time we see him lately he is asleep, or trying to sleep...certainly not his kindest state of being. Yesterday I was trying to nuzzle him to wake him up at 4 in the afternoon and he says grouchily, Get off my Methicillin-resistant Staph aureus neck! The problem is that, that could very probably be a true statement. Who knows what else has hitched a ride home with him from the ICU? I promptly washed my face with a combination of boiling water and bleach and did the same on the sheets and pillowcases.

Miles- 4 new top teeth. Actually 2 and almost two more. But they are coming. Loves to help me cook. He should be darn good too since he is ALWAYS right on my hip when I'm in the kitchen. If he isn't the youngest person ever to win Top Chef I will be sorely disappointed.

Avery- Oh where do I begin, as always. Avery doesn't particularly like to help me in the kitchen, like I had always hoped she would but she does make a great sous-chef as she enjoys peeling garlic and pulling the leaves off various herbs. A few weeks ago I was telling her that we eat cilantro with beans because it cuts down on the toots. She thought about it for a second and said "well ,then Uncle Brady needs some ceeelantro"

A. also spent October spreading joy to others. I witnessed her tell, and almost floor, two women on separate occasions, that they looked beautiful. It was almost as if they both really needed to hear that that day, because I swear I saw tears as they thanked her. She does it all the time. If you are wearing a dress, flashy jewelry or a patterned scarf like a turban, you can almost be certain that she will compliment you.

Me- My month could be entitled "Adventures in Nursing...and Weaning...And Nursing". Even though Ben told me that it was the worst birthday gift ever, M. got weaned completely just before he got a taste of his first cupcake. It wasn't too bad because I've been phasing it out for the last 5 months. Then he got a fever, whether it was the 4 teeth or a virus, he wouldn't eat anything and being that he is not actually plottable on the weight chart as it is, I couldn't bear to see him starve so I gave in. Now that he is being weaned yet again, he has gotten smart and has boycotted milk in a cup. It's a battle of wills, but I'm a Taurus so I should prevail.

On a side note, I lost 3 lbs the week I weaned him and promptly put it back on when he got reattached. It's a crazy phenomenon, but just in case you are also one of the 1 in 5 women whom breastfeeding doesn't help you shed the pounds, there is hope. This happened to me with Avery too. I don't know how it works with the hormones (the same ones that make any moles I might have plump up) or water-retention or what but it's very real.

Britt- Got her identity stolen, but at least she still has her Gucci bag! The situation is being investigated now and luckily they didn't get away with much, but it's a good reminder, at someone elses expense, to be aware and check your credit periodically. And of course, I do have celebrity sighting news from B.'s camp. Not firsthand but very close, as "Uncle Sammy" was on a private jet with Prince (I can't figure out how to do the whole symbol bit), whom he was instructed not to speak to unless spoken to and not to look him directly in the eye. Okay, I made up that very last part, but there were other restrictions. What is also true is that Prince was wearing 4 inch clear-heeled shoes that lit up when he walked. Purple, of course.

TV - Started watching Samantha Who? because I need a break from Reality TV and it's actually a very entertaining half-hour. It's Christina Applegate, who is very cute and a whole host of actors with excellent comedic timing (including Martha from 24). The premise is a girl who wakes up in a hospital with amnesia and doesn't remember anything, hence what I already wrote about her having amnesia, and in her previous life she was a horrible person but now is..well a blank slate...who is nice. Since I'm doing a terrible job explaining this, you can read more about it here if you want to but it is a fun, funny show, that that makes me laugh out loud...and Ben watches it too.

Giveaway - Daved David Booth won the copy of Kite Runner. As if he doesn't have enough to read!


Stock Picks -

AGN (Allergan) - 65.75 to 67.58 Up 1.83
FRX (Forest Pharm.) - 37.10 to 39.07 Up 1.97

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading about your life. It always makes me laugh! I love the story about Sam. Love it. And what did Daved win? I am confused!?

TOVAR said...

Seeing as how we just watched Ratatouille for the first time, I can only imagine Miles' contributions that he makes to your cooking.

jen said...

i've been too long from your site. i need to visit more often. i love ur stories! i called cuz i was wondering if i can turn alyssa car seat around, now that she's one? i think i can, right?