Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

November Recap

Just four and a half weeks till 2009. Can it be so?

Ben - Started his block of research rotations. I was really looking forward to these. So far his schedule has been worse than previous non-research rotations. I thought research meant more regular hours and a little autonomy. It's turning out to be research and writing on top of clinic, call and academics. I'm not complaining, just a little disappointed.

And it was bound to happen. Or not. But Ben was the doc for one of his former high school classmates. I can't say who or what for because I don't know (him telling me and me telling you would be a major HIPAA violation).

He did have Thanksgiving weekend off which was good, and which we spent the actual day with the Nelson's who we first met back east and who took it upon themselves to make the majority of what was a very very delicious meal.

The last few days of November were spent leveling ground and hefting brick for our retaining wall. I thought this might be a good time to chat and catch up but this type of work is not compatible with conversing.


Avery - Decided that she would like to learn to play the violin. Of all the horrible sounding instruments while you're learning to play, this could be the worst. She will not be learning how to play the violin. At least not at my house.

Update - turns out she actually doesn't need to take lessons because she says she already knows how to play. She just needs a violin. This is her answer to most things I ask her about. Avery, Would you like to take gymnastics? I already know how. Dance ?- same. Karate ?- Black belt.

Obviously confidence is not an issue.

What is an issue however, are her never ending thoughts. On multiple occasions recently she has expressed near physical pain over her brain not "turning off". Mostly at night, she has a problem with churning thoughts and wants to know how to stop thinking.


Miles - Likes skateboarding, pumpkin pie and "tractor-trucks pushing trees".


Me - I am enjoying fall and the Christmas music station with no commercial interruption, cinnamon pinecones and chocolate-peppermint soymilk (I'm not vegan and not lactose intolerant, just love this stuff. With real whipped cream on top of course). I never felt that I missed out on the holiday feeling in Hawaii but it's feeling kinds cozy here in the Northwest (not permanent, just cozy).

November brought happy news and sad news.

The sad news is the loss of a friend who many of us knew, loved and served during our time together in Maryland. Holly Schrader battled quickly degenerative MS. A former college soccer player, wife and mother, when we met 5 years ago she was just recently wheelchair bound and determined to walk again. Many of us watched helplessly, but while trying to help, as the disease took over a very spunky, athletic young lady who tried very hard to have a normal life in a very unfair, debilitating situation. I can't believe that her life is over so quickly, yet for her relief and that of her family I am grateful that she didn't have to continue on with life as she recently knew it. Many times I tried to put myself in the place of Holly or of her spouse, coming up bitterly short of their pain I'm sure, but it sure does make my challenges seem insignificant.

The good news is that two of my cousins (on different sides of the family) had baby girls this month so I would like to welcome Paiton and Mollee Sue to the world!


And we got to see old friends and fellow TU Tiger swimmers Kyle and Lisa and their four cuties when they visited Seattle.

Oh yes - And Tarah and Amy joined the ranks of bloggers. Yay.

8 comments:

Tarah said...

Yesterday I decided that I actually DO like the smell of cinnamon pine cones. I used to think that they gave me a headache.

Tarah said...

Also, please ask Avery to let me know when she finds that shut off switch for her brain. I need to locate mine too. :)

Tarah said...

And by the way, I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend...there is a "Little Prince" quote that I will share with you sometime that I think about everytime I lose a friend or hear of someone else losing one...

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

Avery amazing me!! Yet I agree that the violin is not the best instrument... i know from experience. Somehow I was able to convince my parents to let me play the violin and it never got past the ear piercing stage!! It is so fun to read about all the things she says and does! So sorry to hear about your friend... what a difficult thing

Sarah said...

That's a great tribute to Holly. I wish Christian and little Sarah all the best in what lies ahead.

Tarah said...

"And when you're consoled (everyone is eventually consoled), you'll be glad you've known me. You'll always be my friend." -Antoine De Saint Exupery

While I was looking for that one I also found one for Avery:

"Grownups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them" -Antoine de Saint Exupery

Ashley Locke said...

Hey! Thanks for including Paiton in your post! She feels famous :) I need your new address. I am mailing out announcements and Christmas cards and I have your Maryland address and your Hawaii address, but no Washington! Can you email it to me at ashmlocke@gmail.com. Thanks!!

Erika said...

If you need a violin, I have one. :)
I am also listening to the Christmas radio station and I managed to find my Christmas CDs, so I'm listening to those too!