Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday 2008

I have only done the Black Friday shopping thing one other time. In 2005 Walmart had hooded Jerzees sweatshirts for $6.99 and I went to get one for Ben. It wasn't so bad and no one got trampled to death that year but I'm pretty sure there was an altercation in electronics and the cops came.

Now that I have two kids, getting up early to go shopping alone seems like a pretty fair trade-off. Plus I needed to check out some of the the big-ticket items (appliances) for our house in person.

So fueled by a piece of chocolate chip pecan pie (and a sliver of pumpkin) I decided to brave the crowds and see if I could find any deals.

I left my house at 4:47am, realizing that venturing out in to the dark of morning is a rare occurrence for me but a daily obligation for Ben. I am overcome with appreciation. But I must focus on my mission. First stop - Sporting Goods store. Why? Because they are giving out gift certificates to the first 200 customers. I wait in line and score some free frosted gingerbread from Starbucks employees that are out spreading cheer. I am guest 199. I get a $5 gift card. I realize that there is nothing at that store that I want besides something for free (although next year I want a generator). I leave.

I head straight for the mall. Specifically Sears. I want to check out the Kenmore HE front-loading washer/dryer combo for $599. Why is everyone trying to find a close parking spot in a packed parking lot where people obviously just got there. You got up at 4:30 to go shopping people, what's so painful about walking across a parking lot? Enter Sears, decide I don't really want a front loader. I want a HE top loader with no agitator. They are not on sale. I get sucked into a special presentation and "free" gift. I waste 15 minutes listening to a spiel on the Euro-Cleaner (made in the USA). I leave with a free microfiber cloth for cleaning camera lenses or glasses.

Next stop Ann Taylor Loft. I was here two days ago to check out their 40% all sale items. The salesgal told me that they might have another 20% of the 40% off items on Friday and to bring back my unwashed, unworn items and they would give me the difference. I do so and pick up another shirt as well. I get .97 back. While trying on the shirt I see myself in the mirror for the first time that day. Black Friday does not look good on me. I head straight to the Benefit counter at Macy's for some Erase Paste. I look a little better. Maybe good enough to step foot in a Nordstrom.

I head to Nordstrom, on my way out of Macy's I get a free Cranergy drink that Ocean Spray is handing out. I was getting thirsty. I get to Nordstrom at the other end of the mall. They don't open until 8am. They don't want us "door-busting" kind to enter their halls scavenging for deals. This is why my sister is sleeping in. I head back to Macy's for another Cranergy drink.

It's 6:50. I leave the mall and head for Circuit City. I need to replace the kids DVD player for the 5th time in two years. Thank goodness grandpa had the wisdom to get the protection plan on that item. I wait in line for 15 minutes while the lady in front of me tells me all about the movie Water Horse and asks multiple salespeople if they have that movie in stock. They direct her to the bulk bins. She doesn't want to lose her place in line. I can't guarantee her that I can hold her place so I say nothing. The exchange costs me $3.48 (darn that high WA state tax). I go next door to Toys R Us. Water Horse lady told me that they had some good deals. They do. But they are not worth standing in the very very extremely long line that winds through the entire store.

7:20am - I am done shopping. Total damage: $2.51

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you're my kind of shopper--it's all about the experience, anyway. =)

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

I didn't even try this year... not big on getting my fat, pregnant body out of bed!! :)

Pattersons said...

mason and i are all about the experience when it comes to black friday-we love it! and sounds like you did great;)

JMK said...

That is an impressive bill at the end of Black Friday. I never get to shop b/c we're always away visiting family either on a farm in the middle of nowhere or at the beach where we have no desire to leave and drive into town!

bethy said...

I got sucked into listening to one of those presentations before and came away with the microfiber cleaner. It turned out to be a pretty nifty gift because nothing works better for cleaning DVDs. It has been a lifesaver.

Tami said...

I thought about getting up to wait in line at the sporting good store, just to see if I'd get the big gift card. I didn't go because I realized that I didn't need anything from there. I went with my mom and sister. We woke up late (5:30) and took it easy. It was nice just to hang out.

sara said...

i got sucked into one of those qvc presentations once and the shady guy with the huge nose tried to say the microfiber cloth retailed for $5 to $7 in stores. sure. i left the presentation early, before the grand free giveaway because i knew there wasn't anything he could give out for free that equaled the value of 15 minutes shopping time alone.