Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Highs and Lows of Parenting

My 2 year old son Miles continues to give us fits with his refusal to eat anything off of his short dietary list which includes Dora yogurt, cheese sticks, fruit snacks and cinnamon toast. He causes his father further consternation with his consistent refusal of all things meat leading me to question my stance on the controversial subject of whether someone is born vegetarian or if is it a conscious decision they make later in life. I was elated tonight when a shirtless boy, standing on his chair at the dinner table yells, “look Mom!” as he ferociously tears into a barbeque pork rib using his incisors for their God-intended purpose. I was further delighted as he threw it down, asked for more while wiping barbeque sauce across his bare chest and letting out a valiant primal roar. As a reward I let him drink long and hard from my Safeway brand root beer that he and his sister only get when they eat until Lynn and I think they have had enough. As he tilted his head back and two-fisted the brew, in my minds eye I saw him sprouting hair from his chest like the amazing, true clinical trial testing the manliness of Old Spice deodorant as depicted HERE.

I was silently gleaming as I finished my delicious meal only to have my thoughts interrupted as he put his leg high on the back of the chair, bracing himself with his hands on the table and proclaimed, “Look Dad, I’m a ballerina!”

14 comments:

Lynn said...

Miles doesn't have incisors.

Erick & Norma said...

That is awesomely funny! Welcome new co-author :D

Tarah said...

Haha! Welcome aboard Dr. Westbrook!

bhamchick said...

Okay that was hilarious! I got to make Tim read that one.

Ashley Locke said...

Ok so funny. Sorry Lynn, you still crack me up too. I know you're worried about having to share the light with Ben :) But seriously, I am sitting here holding Paiton and laughing so hard I might be shaking her a little too much....

Kimi said...

Now my first thought was - what kind of bar-b-que sauce can you get in washington and my second thought was thank goodness he didn't have a shirt on because that stain would be a pain to get out for Lynn.

It makes my Texas heart proud that he like ribs - next try him with some steak fajitas :)

And just for the record - some of the most famous ballerinas are guys - I couldn't name one for you but I know that one guy's been on Seasame Street lots of times!

jen said...

Laughing out Loud!!! Man that is great. Thanks for bringing some laughter into my morning. At first I thought Lynn was the author. Until you mentioned her name. I love the humor you both have.

johnEboy said...

Ben it's good to hear from you. That was funny, not quite Lynn funny, but still.

Christine said...

I gotta say, even when I don't feel like a steak or substantial meat, ribs ALWAYS sound good! Welcome to blogging, Ben!

sara said...

i still can't stop laughing!

TOVAR said...

The commercial was fantastic. I wonder what deodorant smells like wildflowers and shame.

It's too bad the meat mayhem wasn't caught on tape. We have the opposite problem with Tiago. He loves meat. Always has. He often will be found spitting out bread products and devouring an adult size portion of beef. The result of his diet is why people still try the Atkins approach.

JMK said...

Great Blog, Ben! So, Samuel is not the only 2 year old Ballerina boy ! See our blog post, "the prince"

Lamese "Mese" Ugapo II said...

Awesome. What an experience. I would have paid money to have been there.

Suzanne said...

... "not that there's anything wrong with that ... "