Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

G-Y-Z...

I had cut up some soda cans into small squares of aluminum for an activity I did with my primary boys (having them try to engrave words with a nail into the metal to show how difficult it would be to keep a record in this manner - bits of raw-edged aluminum, nails and 10 year old boys...yeah, safe I know). I had a few pieces left over and Avery wanted to use it to make a mini Book of Mormon. She folded it in half and cut out some pieces of paper that would fit inside (she's lucky I let her use scissors considering that she has trimmed both her own bangs and her brothers cowlicks in recent weeks with less than stellar results but that's beside the point) she called me in because she needed some help writing her cover page.

She said, "Mom, can you help me spell 'Jesus'? I only got the first letters: G-Y-Z...

------

This reminds me of my favorite card that Miles got for his birthday. It was a handmade gem from Aubrey A., it reads To Miols. Which is exactly how it sounds. English might be a really hard language to learn considering what little sense our alphabet makes phonetically.

13 comments:

Pattersons said...

very nice lynn-and you're right, after learning about 4 different languages, english is the worst language ever-and very difficult to teach.

Anonymous said...

Erick said...
BORING! I'm waiting for Bens next masterpiece.

Sarah said...

GYZ--she can sound it out and she isn't even preschool?? She's a GNS!

(or 'genius' for your multi-lingual friends out there)

Lynn said...

Erick - That's strike one. You're well on your way to getting blocked.

And as for Avery being a GNS - She is almost 5 so some sort of reading comprehension is to be expected by now. I was pretty (but happily) surprised when she busted out with this b/c she refuses to try to read. Even though I told her you have to know how to read before you start kindergarten.

sara said...

mia thought she got a call from HIm the other day. My caller i.d. says out loud who is calling. the relief society president works at the institute and so when she called it said 'call from Jesus Christ'.

Erick & Norma said...

Don't worry Lynn, I'll take care of Erick for you ;)

By the way, I am cracking up over Sara's comment...that is hilarious, and a little freaky at the same time. :D

JMK said...

Love it! Our girls are on similar wave-lengths. See my post today on "fivety-ten".
Yes, if Ben has too many posts then residency is just not hard enough! ha ha.
Whe is he done BTW? What year?

The Shields Family said...

How cute! Reminds me of when I was five or six and gave my dad a father's day card that I intended to say, "Daddy, you are handsome and your cologne smells nice" but ACTUALLY said, "Daddy you are handsome and your colon smells nice." It was one of my more unfortunate spelling errors. :)

Sarah said...

I love the new picture in the leaves. Wonderful!

Jesus doesn't care how she spells his name, so no worries.

Kimi said...

That is exactly why God gave someone the gift to invent spell check! Have heart - I still can't spell and I did ok in school.

Madi's new favorite game is to write random letters and then ask me what it spells. She is sorely disappointed when I respond with 'it doesn't spell anything sweetie' - although she did hit gold yesterday with RIP :) (Although is that rip as in rip paper - as opposed to cutting paper you brave soul, or that tree guy of your's sure was ripped, or rest in peace)

Also I am beginning to question Madi's preschool's teaching methods. She can write everyone's name (Eli, Anna, and Raul are a few examples and yes they are shorter and Anna really is only 2 different letters) in her class but can't remember how to spell Madison - although she can write Corp without needing a reminder of what letter comes next.

And I'm pretty sure her skills as a beautician can be put to good at a local salon with some possible tutoring from her Aunty Jenisteen :)

April said...

I'm with Sarah, spelling anything, including phonetically, is uber impressive!

Kayla and Samuel said...

Ben & Lynn,

You guys have such cuties, I am so glad I've been able to find your blog (through Ryan & Amber) So, since I FINALLY have ours up here is the info...rothfam5.blogspot.com
Talk to you later!

Kayla (Mortensen)

Paola said...

Very good, Avery!
Ask Brian and he'll tell you that English is not a language, it's a CODE. "That way we'll always know who isn't one of us." He says this to make fun of me, but it IS kind of a code. One of my favorite examples: 'freight' and 'height'.