Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Creeping Incrementalism



Am I the last person to find out that the price of stamps were raised again? I might as well add my 41 cent stamps to my drawer-full of 29, 33, 34 & 39 cent stamps since I already know I won't be making it to the post-office to get the 1 cent filler. I knew I should have purchased the "forever" stamp last time but I just wanted something cuter. And by something cuter, I mean famous American authors I've never heard of.


My other gripe is more serious. They are messing with our ice cream. And by they, I don't know who I mean, but I can tell you what brand - Dreyers (or Edy's if you are East of the Mississippi). I was at the store and was quickly going to grab some Rocky Road when I noticed that they had updated the packaging, and wanting to get the freshest possible batch, I pushed aside the last few containers with the old packaging and reached for the SMALLER, newer packaging. Of course I didn't realize it till I got home and the container felt strangely more compact nestled in my lap, almost personal size. We had another flavor in the older package so I checked and sure enough the ice cream has shrunk from 1.75 Quarts to 1.5! But my question is when did 1.75 equal a half gallon? I guess I missed the first ice cream shrinkage.


The good news is that, unlike the possibility of buying a 41 cent forever stamp, there may still be the older - larger ice cream cartons out there to be had if you act now. The bad news is, for you Breyers fans - they too have already delivered the crunch.






photo courtesy of the consumerist.

3 comments:

Fong said...

I noticed they did this with Thrifty's ice cream. The new packaging looks nicer but when you pick it up, there is a noticeable difference in weight.

johnEboy said...

No kidding! I was cracking up because I just found out about the stamp increase last week and thought maybe I was the last to know. I resorted to just using two 39 cent stamps. It's the only way I'll ever get rid of them.

Tami said...

I was mad about the whole ice cream thing too. Who do these people think they are?